Gas

I have a Zanussi gas hob which has two problems.

  1. The caps on top of the gas rings have a ceramic top with steel underneath it. This steel part of the cap keeps rusting and dropping rust. I have tried sealing it by burning rapeseed oil on the steel. But this only works for a short time, and i have to keep redoing it.

  1. This hob has the safety feature which would stop an escape of gas if the gas was not ignited. If i do not keep wiping the two posts (one metal and the other covered with a white insulation sleeve and is the one that delivers the ignition spark) every couple of days with a scouring pad the gas rings simple do not ignite, using the hob ignition system. So then its all down to the use of matches to light the gas rings.

Grateful for any advice on anything that could usefully be done in this situation. Or advice on buying another make of gas hob that does not have these problems. Thanks

Reply to
john west

Ditch the gas if possible and get induction.

Reply to
Richard

Have you tried a "rust-killer" of the sort used for mild steel outside which is subject to repeated rusting? It's usually just phosphoric acid, and the iron phosphate forms a protective black coat over the steel. I've no idea how heat-proof it is, but if you've got some it would be worth trying on the hob.

This just sounds like a flame failure device similar to those in gas boilers and gas fires. It might be worth checking the wire connection to make sure it isn't loose. Maybe cleaning the posts moves it a bit so it makes contact again for a day or two before coming loose again.

Gas hobs are usually pretty much problem free. As for induction hobs, I understand they are pretty efficient and have a gas-like rapid response, but I doubt you could use them like a gas hob during a power cut...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Agreed.

At present I am using both and keep finding how much I dislike gas. Used to prefer gas to older electric rings but induction is something else.

Particulates are also an issue - numerous references readily findable including:

polygonum_on_google

Now try and steam the Christmas puds in your Mother's old aluminium steamer pans:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Would need to also ditch all pans as well, probably then. Come on, Gas has been in use for years without these kind of silly problems. Sounds like corrosion has set in. I wonder what the cleaning regime is? Could this have attacked te plating? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Another induction fan here. Even though I had to get rid of my wok, and switch to a sauté pan.

Amdu

Reply to
Vir Campestris