buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

italian model?

Can't think why. If it's fit for the EU it should be okay in the UK. Don't know whether gas couplings might be different though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

Do they use the same kind of gas in Italy? If not, is it still significantly cheaper after replacing jets etc?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Don't tell me - Britannia and Ilve?

perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

I don't think so as EU legislation means that anything legal to install/use in one country should be the same in any country of the EU.

Reply to
tinnews

significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

"Barazza". And I can tell you that 50% off the price of a Barazza hob is a LOT of money.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

ere perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from = the italian model?

Including electrical items designed for much lower mains voltage? It's not as simple as saying it will be safe throughout Europe. Someone has already highlighted a possible issue with the jets.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Would the Italian sell a UK model direct?

Reply to
GB

italian model?

Much (most?) of the EU uses BSP pipe fittings, even if they don't call them that!

Don't know about Italy, but french stuff is all interchangable. (Copper pipes are different sizes, but the BSP connections are the same as here.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

Don't think there are any "much lower" voltages in use in Europe are there?

They probably buy their gas the same place we do ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

gas-?-us.ru ?

Reply to
Tim Watts

And we'll probably end up paying Russ Andrewski prices too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And Putin might do a Ukraine to us at any moment...

Personally, all greens should have their fuel/water/electricity cut off every day at random times for a month, in winter.

Then, and only then, should they be allowed to try to influence the UK energy policy...

Reply to
Tim Watts

gas-=D0=AF-us.ru ? -- Tim Watts Personal Blog:

= "She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

IIRC at the moment, Norway is our main supplier and for Italy it's Algeria.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Well unless they use different gass or different pressures or if its meant for bottled gas with internal regualator then there will be issues, but otherwise cannot imagine why it should be diffent.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

RobertL wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If it carrys the CE mark it may be fitted here.

No CE mark, no fit.

Heliotrope Smith

1/2" BSP in Italy same as the UK.
Reply to
Steve Firth

italian model?

Methane In cities and LPG in the country just like the UK. Most hobs sold in both countries come with a full set of jets for both types of gas.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Really? I bought all of the Italian made jobs for my home in Italy in the UK because they were disgustingly expensive in Italy. I bought a Candy hob for our kitchen in the barn at Comet for £60. Same unit in Italy was EUR

400.

Zanussi gas hob and Ariston gas jobs for the main kitchens were around £100-150 in the UK. Around EUR 600-800 in Italy.

italian model?

No idea but taking items from UK to Italy no one complained and there is this EU rule about free movement of goods and services.

Reply to
Steve Firth

italian model?

Some years ago there was a basic gas cooker on offer at Comet or Currys, I can't remember which. My parents wanted to buy one to take over to France and the shop point blank refused to supply the LPG jets (supplied with it by the manufacturer), insisting that they could only be supplied to a Corgi registered fitter! Wrong on so many counts, but they couldn't be budged.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I've also had the same cobblers from Currys. Going to a different shop in the same chain got me the hob + jets. I wouldn't have been shopping there at all, but their prices were the lowest at the time.

Reply to
Steve Firth