buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

On Monday, 8 October 2012 11:27:13 UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

Hi Robert
Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? I really want to get a Barazza direct from Italy too but I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone!
Louise

Given Italy is in the EU, they should be able to supply a UK spec one - if they make it. Of course that's not to say they won't put obstacles in your way so as not to offend their UK agents. As once happened with cars.
--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

On Wed, 06 May 2015 15:52:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Italy tends towards bottled gas a lot more than the UK ...
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 16:54:54 UTC+1, Jethro_uk wrote:

Really? So confusing, I spoke to a distributor in Italy who said they ship to UK all the time. Don't really know who to believe!
On Wed, 6 May 2015 13:27:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bottled gas is usually Propane, UK natural gas is mainly Methane. They have differing energy content and require different burners (or burner nozzles) to be fitted. Most manufacturers can supply bits for either gas supply as long as you specify it when ordering. Simply saying "UK use" is inadequate as rural locations in the UK with no natural gas supply often use Propane.
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 22:30:11 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:

Thanks Peter, it's a complete minefield! I have emailed the company direct and a distributor so I'll see what they come back with.

Our Ilve hob (Britannia in the UK) came with the conversion jets, just a matter of unscrewing the natural gas ones and screwing in the bottled gas ones for us.
--
Chris Green
·

On Thu, 07 May 2015 08:23:11 +0100, cl wrote:

Our Bosch 4 burner hob came supplied with the NG jets fitted along with a pack of THREE sets of alternative jets (which I've put 'somewhere safe' - as per the usual, I've already forgotten, after just a couple of months or so, where that 'somewhere safe' actually is).
Naturally enough, this being a DIY group, I fitted the hob myself, using up the very last of my gas ptfe tape transferring the quick connect flexible hose from the old New World(?) 4 burner hob which had seen better days (some 12,000 of them in fact) wherein the battery powered igniter had failed over 11,000 of those days ago.
The only extra complication was the need to connect its ignition unit to the existing FCU serving the cooker hood. As per usual, the supplied mains cable was about a metre too short but, after verifying the attached mains flex was nothing special by way of being heat resistant (a cigarette lighter flame test revealed it to be nothing more than standard PVC insulated flex), I simply cut a suitable length off a coil of 10A 3 core flex I'd been keeping in the basement for the past 3 decades or so for such occasions and wired it up with that. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 08/05/2015 21:15, Johnny B Good wrote:

If the cable was heat resistant, it would have had details along its length to which BSxxxx it conforms to. In the absence of any indication, I would tend to assume it was general purpose PVC cable.
On Fri, 08 May 2015 21:28:35 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

====snip===
Well, the cable didn't have the distinctive feel of a silicone based insulant and, rather than rely upon labelling alone and ass u m(e) ption, I figured it was easier to try a "Char & Sniff" test to prove, definitively, that it was merely standard PVC insulated 10A 3 core flex. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

The same hob could well have different versions for natural and bottled gas. Even for town gas if it still exists anywhere.
--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 15:58:33 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 15:58:33 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dave, it's from distributor in Italy so not sure they could do that but thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Would that be Ilve/Brittannia by any chance?

As far as I understand it if it's from the EU you can use it in the UK.
--
Chris Green
·

On 06/05/2015 19:12, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Each country has its rules on who can do what and with a gas appliance.
There is nothing stopping you buying one, but getting a Gas Safe monkey to fit one might be tricky if the instructions aren't in English and the references on the hob itself don't mention any UK recognised attributes.
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 20:22:16 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

Fred, there are English Instructions on the Barazza website so that must be a good start!

I would check with you fitter first that that would be acceptable. A couple of years ago, my gas safe man (who's a reasonable bloke) refused to fit a fire for me because the instructions were missing from the box, despite the fact that I located the relevant pdf online. It's about liability and insurance.

This is a DIY group. Fit it yourself, if competent. No more difficult than water.
--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 11:20:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I question that "no more difficult than water". My usual approach with water is "fit, wait, find leaks, fix". That works fine with water because leaking a couple of litres of water over a 12 hour period is pretty obvious, and fairly harmless (provided fixed promptly). A similar sized hole with gas is a) not nearly so obvious; b) significantly less harmless.
The maximum extent to which I am prepared to DIY gas is "plug bayonet fitting into cooker".
On 07/05/2015 12:46, Martin Bonner wrote:

Its easy to detect gas leaks with a simple manometer.
If any doubts get a Landlord or similar gas safety certificate.