buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

Hi Robert

Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? I really want to get a Barazza direct from Italy too but I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone!

Louise

Reply to
louise.littmann

Given Italy is in the EU, they should be able to supply a UK spec one - if they make it. Of course that's not to say they won't put obstacles in your way so as not to offend their UK agents. As once happened with cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Italy tends towards bottled gas a lot more than the UK ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Would that be Ilve/Brittannia by any chance?

As far as I understand it if it's from the EU you can use it in the UK.

Reply to
cl

Each country has its rules on who can do what and with a gas appliance.

There is nothing stopping you buying one, but getting a Gas Safe monkey to fit one might be tricky if the instructions aren't in English and the references on the hob itself don't mention any UK recognised attributes.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Reply to
louise.littmann

Dave, it's from distributor in Italy so not sure they could do that but thanks for your help.

Reply to
louise.littmann

Really? So confusing, I spoke to a distributor in Italy who said they ship to UK all the time. Don't really know who to believe!

Reply to
louise.littmann

That was my understanding but it's a bit of a gamble!

Reply to
louise.littmann

Fred, there are English Instructions on the Barazza website so that must be a good start!

Reply to
louise.littmann

Bottled gas is usually Propane, UK natural gas is mainly Methane. They have differing energy content and require different burners (or burner nozzles) to be fitted. Most manufacturers can supply bits for either gas supply as long as you specify it when ordering. Simply saying "UK use" is inadequate as rural locations in the UK with no natural gas supply often use Propane.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks Peter, it's a complete minefield! I have emailed the company direct and a distributor so I'll see what they come back with.

Reply to
louise.littmann

The same hob could well have different versions for natural and bottled gas. Even for town gas if it still exists anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our Ilve hob (Britannia in the UK) came with the conversion jets, just a matter of unscrewing the natural gas ones and screwing in the bottled gas ones for us.

Reply to
cl

I would check with you fitter first that that would be acceptable. A couple of years ago, my gas safe man (who's a reasonable bloke) refused to fit a fire for me because the instructions were missing from the box, despite the fact that I located the relevant pdf online. It's about liability and insurance.

Reply to
GMM

This is a DIY group. Fit it yourself, if competent. No more difficult than water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I question that "no more difficult than water". My usual approach with water is "fit, wait, find leaks, fix". That works fine with water because leaking a couple of litres of water over a 12 hour period is pretty obvious, and fairly harmless (provided fixed promptly). A similar sized hole with gas is a) not nearly so obvious; b) significantly less harmless.

The maximum extent to which I am prepared to DIY gas is "plug bayonet fitting into cooker".

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Its easy to detect gas leaks with a simple manometer.

If any doubts get a Landlord or similar gas safety certificate.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I did say if competent. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our Bosch 4 burner hob came supplied with the NG jets fitted along with a pack of THREE sets of alternative jets (which I've put 'somewhere safe'

- as per the usual, I've already forgotten, after just a couple of months or so, where that 'somewhere safe' actually is).

Naturally enough, this being a DIY group, I fitted the hob myself, using up the very last of my gas ptfe tape transferring the quick connect flexible hose from the old New World(?) 4 burner hob which had seen better days (some 12,000 of them in fact) wherein the battery powered igniter had failed over 11,000 of those days ago.

The only extra complication was the need to connect its ignition unit to the existing FCU serving the cooker hood. As per usual, the supplied mains cable was about a metre too short but, after verifying the attached mains flex was nothing special by way of being heat resistant (a cigarette lighter flame test revealed it to be nothing more than standard PVC insulated flex), I simply cut a suitable length off a coil of 10A 3 core flex I'd been keeping in the basement for the past 3 decades or so for such occasions and wired it up with that. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good