Garden sizes

Hi, anybody having any idea how in UK we classify gardens as small/ medium/large on the basis of their size? That is, what are approximate dimensions/sizes of garden to refer it as small/medium/large.

Thanks and Regards, sherkhanthegreat (shammi777...)

Reply to
sherkhanthegreat

The terms are entirely subjective and relative.

I have an acre of garden. It's quite a small one, AFAIAC.

Reply to
Huge

approximate

Very much depends on location. A 1/4 acre garden in the City of London or Inner London would be considered HUGE whereas the same 1/4 acre in a rural area would be small.

15 miles from Charing Cross (ie suburbs) the house agents consider our 1/3rd acre plot 'large' but believe me it isn't big enough !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Oooops...sorry if I missed the point, I was refering to front/rear gardens of residential homes, which are never so big like 1/2 acres etc. For example, a garden of approx 25ft X 65ft, can we say it is medium or large?

Sherkhanthegreat (shammi777)

Reply to
sherkhanthegreat

Anything more than 1/12th acre plot size would be "generous" according to estate agents for new build

Owain

Reply to
Owain

|!On 2007-03-09, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: |!> Hi, anybody having any idea how in UK we classify gardens as small/ |!> medium/large on the basis of their size? That is, what are approximate |!> dimensions/sizes of garden to refer it as small/medium/large. |! |!The terms are entirely subjective and relative. |! |!I have an acre of garden. It's quite a small one, AFAIAC.

Gardens are getting smaller along with the size of houses. Near us in some new housing the garden is about 4 sq meters, plus a parking space.

In the old terrace houses the garden was little more than one square meter.

The Estate Agent speak a small garden is "Easily maintained" ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

wrote

If you are considering the wording for a housing advertisement, the term "good size" is in common use. You can easily substantiate this, if questioned, by saying that it is a suitable size for family occupation ie room for sitting area, play area flower bed, small lawn etc. That way you avoid declaring specific and/or relative sizing (almost).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Small means you wish it were bigger; large means you wish it were smaller or you're putting the property up for sale

Reply to
Tony Bryer

A garden could be classified as small if only one of the neighbours cats craps in it

Medium is when you catch and swing the cat from the centre of the garden and on letting go it would reach at least one boundary

Large would be big enough to shoot the cats without anyone seeing you do it

Where I live 25 ft by 65 ft rear garden would be classed as easily managed

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I saw, some years back on T.V., some pompous prat saying, "Well, as far as I am concerned, every garden, no matter how small, should include at least 7 acres of rough woodland"!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Did Lord Prescot understand this, when he stated that he was going to build all those millions of homes in the South East? (Just spell checked this and it wants to change the spelling of his name to prosecute. I wonder why?)

Oh. I forgot, he can't be made a Lord this week, as Pauline will not let him have any of the money that she needs to get her hair done for the weekend. B liar and cherry will have to wait a bit longer for their exit bunny :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yup 10 acres is a decent sized garden - or a large housing estate, depending on your POV.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh yes they are.

Ive got 1.5 acres here.. Its not that big.

For example, a garden of approx 25ft X 65ft, can we say it is

Id call it a parking space.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have to agree. Wish mine did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|!>>> Hi, anybody having any idea how in UK we classify gardens as small/ |!>>> medium/large on the basis of their size? That is, what are |!>> approximate |!>>> dimensions/sizes of garden to refer it as small/medium/large. |!>>> Thanks and Regards, |!>>> sherkhanthegreat (shammi777...) |!>> Very much depends on location. A 1/4 acre garden in the City of London |!>> or Inner London would be considered HUGE whereas the same 1/4 acre in |!>> a rural area would be small. |!>>

|!>> 15 miles from Charing Cross (ie suburbs) the house agents consider |!>> our 1/3rd acre plot 'large' but believe me it isn't big enough ! |!>>

|!>> AWEM |!> |!> Oooops...sorry if I missed the point, I was refering to front/rear |!> gardens of residential homes, which are never so big like 1/2 acres |!> etc. |! |!Oh yes they are. |! |!Ive got 1.5 acres here.. Its not that big. |! |!For example, a garden of approx 25ft X 65ft, can we say it is |!> medium or large? |! |!Id call it a parking space.

For your Ocean Going yacht?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop