updating wardrobe doors

Hi all, in her infinite wisdom SWMBO has decided to decorate our bedroom (as if I haven't enough to do with the toilet, stairs, drive, garage etc, etc). At the moment we have built in wardrobes along one wall (built by the last owner who was a chippie) but they are looking their age. The doors are plain finished and, frankly, boring. At some point when I get near the bottom of her majesty's wish list I suppose I'll get round to ripping them out and replacing but for the time being any suggestions on how to smarten them up? There's 6 large doors at the bottom approx 6 ft tall x 18 inch wide and 6 small doors above approx 18 inch square. All suggestions gratefully received - probably! Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Frisket

"Frisket" wrote | Hi all, in her infinite wisdom SWMBO has decided to decorate our bedroom | At the moment we have built in wardrobes along one wall (built by the last | owner who was a chippie) but they are looking their age. The doors are plain | finished and, frankly, boring.

Stick on mouldings and a paint job.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah. 's a definite excuse to go out and buy a router. And a boatload of cutters. And a router table. Any queries from the mgmt, just keep comparing the cost of the toys with the cost of buying in new doors (one of the few times it's worth getting Sharps in to quote and NOT bargaining them down from their initially outrageous 'but if I press my area sales mgr I might be able to get you a discount on that if you sign up tonight' price ;-)

Reply to
stefek.zaba

I want to get some replacement doors - about 6ft by 3 ft - made to measure. I want them finished in birch veneer and with a decent edging. Fully finished, so I just have to put the hinges on. Like these modern scndinavian kitchen cupboard doors - only bigger. Anyone know where I can get these from - made in / delivered to North London?

Geoff

Reply to
GB

If they are sliding then Stefek's suggestion is the best, assuming them to be solid. If they are hollow this won't work and if they are plywood you will have to paint them to hide the layers. Unless of course you manage to do it to make them a 'feature'. You could drill in from the back to check.

If they are hinged then slap some mouldings on to make them look like panel doors. Even with this way you can wheedle a router table out of the missus, after all she won't want boring standard mouldings from the sheds will she? with router table you can make custom mouldings.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

This is definitely one of those "Homer" moments! - I conned (sorry, persuaded) my good lady to let me have a router and table about 5 years ago and it's been propping up a large pile of essential power tools ever since

Thanks for the replies, Richard.

Reply to
Frisket

Ikea! Aaah! Thanks.