New house, new user

Good morning everybody, I have been lurking this NG for a few weeks now, since SWMBO and I bought a 1930 house in NW London a month ago or so, and now it is probably the right time to start asking questions. First of all, I'm Italian so apologies for my poor English and for the lack of appropriate (technical) vocabulary. I can do (and I enjoy) a number of small jobs, but sometimes I need the experts... Being Italian and having moved to the UK only 6 years ago, the main problem I have (and thus the first question is): how do I find reliable plumbers, electricians, builders, etc? For instance: I'd like to install fitted wardrobes in one of the bedorooms, a standard installation around the chimney breast (well, kind of standard, see below). I only know Sharps because of their marketing power, but I'm sure I'm missing better options because I don't know how to find them. The ISWMBO (Italian-SWMBO) requires a properly sealed construction (i.e., there must be no visible walls inside the wardrobes and everything must be glossy and cleanable with appropriate detergent), I guess you call this a "carcasse" structure: can you suggest other options other than Sharps? Also, we would like to install a downstairs toilet (under the stairs), and again we are a bit lost and afraid of trusting those who leave a leaflet under your door. At the same time, the only other plumber company I know is Pimlico Plumbers but I'm not sure this is a wise choice either...

TIA for your suggestions, F

Reply to
Galet

Sorry, I can't help being 200 miles north of you but I wish my Italian - or any other language - were as poor as your English :-)

It's far better than many round here!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

vocabulary.

installation

Sharps?

stairs), and

"how do I find reliable plumbers, electricians, builders, etc? "

This is THE eternal question I reckon, and if it could be answered I'd love to hear

If you were still in Italy what would you do? Probably rely on recommendations from friends and relatives, and it is thus here too!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Forget English, learn to speak Polish;-)

One simple technique, if you lack personal contacts, is to talk to tradespeople where you see a job in progress. Ask them what sort of job it is, ask if you can see it, ask if you can chat to the owner if they're about. Without exception, I've always found such approaches welcome - though usually I'm looking to learn something rather than to hire them.

Reply to
dom

I've used local websites/forums to find recommendations before now. You don't say where exactly you are, but start at

see if anything is local-ish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In your situation I think I might try B&Q for things like fitted wardrobes. They have their own fitters and seem to offer reasonable value

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Best way is to ask neighbours for recommendations. If the same names keep cropping up you can be pretty sure they're ok.

It's also quite a good way to get to know the neighbours when you're new to the area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I went to a Polish restaurant last week. The food was terrible, but the plumbing was superb :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I should not worry, you are doing better than many of the native English speakers already! ;-)

By recommendation is your best bet. Perhaps if you pop into a local plumbers merchant or builders merchant and ask there - not as good as a personal recommendation though.

(as you will probably gather from reading this group, many are DIYing because they find that is the only way to get acceptable results!)

There are plenty of sellers of the furniture itself, including the big names like Sharpes, MFI (or Howdens the trade arm of MFI), Ikea. Most of the DIY shops also have ranges. Most will offer fitting services, and there are also a number of independent fitters. You would need to look at local advertising.

The other solution is to buy the furniture and fit it yourself. Not that difficult for bedroom stuff.

again DIYable (although a much more advanced job than the wardrobes). If you want it done professionally then it is the same answer as above I am afraid.

Reply to
John Rumm

My advice is avoid Pimlico Plumbers.

I had a very bad experience with them.

They charge for work that is not required. Their staff vary considerably in their ability. Their charges are also extortionate. They are very opportunistic.

Do not be misled by their website. They edit out all the negative feedback.

Every one knows them as they advertise extensively and have flashy vans.

AVOID. You have been warned.

William

Reply to
Dulwich

I've been thinking how to extend this stereotype now that the EU has become enlarged:

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians ".

This is somewhat unfair because the Italians can organise really good food. The rest is pretty much right.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you READ your automatic sig additions?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He possibly doesn't even see them before the message is sent.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It sounds like the iSWMBO is after a luxury job - not ideal for a have-a-go DIYer who's going to get it in the nexck if it goes slightly wrong.. DAMHIKT.

I'd definitely start out talking to fitters (found through the big suppliers, as mentioned.. or the local phone book/websites etc.). They will have good ideas for suppliers. Don't use one who can do the job tomorrow - you have to ask why he isn't busy...

After that it's down to budget. Sharps in my mind fits with Moben for kitchens - good enough quality but at a steep price. I may be wrong, it's a while since I've done any major installations...

Reply to
PC Paul

Good tradesmen don't need to advertise at all, so do try and get a personal recommendation from neighbours. In fact its often the case that the more flashy/Signwritten the Vans are, the less skilled or overpriced are the tradesman.

-
Reply to
Mark

Oh - you're back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct. I'd have thought even Mary would know that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you very much to everybody, I have now a long list of options :-)! PC Paul got the point: I'd rather avoid building the wardrobes myself because of iSWMBO requiring a "perfect" job. If it is not perfect, it is much better if she can blame someone else :-)!

Galet

That's what I suspect, it was amusing though :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's the idea of tags.