HOW YOU NEVER GET THINGS FINISHED

Why is that when you start DIY you never get things finished properly

- so my new motto is to pay for people who are trained in these areas

- craftsmen etc.

Reply to
panther

speak for yourself

Reply to
Andy Hall

I am afraid he is speaking for me.

I want to sell my house but can't for shame put it on the market. Nor have I got the time and/or will to do all the jobs which need finishing.

Reply to
R D S

Indeed. Some people do diy to save some money. Others do it because they gain pleasure from it, and satisfaction from achieving a good result.

The latter tend to do at least as good a job, and in many cases a better job, than a pro.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from panther contains these words:

You may well get your jobs finished but finished properly? For every real craftsman out there there must be a dozen or more cowboys who will routinely cut corners if there is the slightest chance of getting away with it and whose skills are more in the hide the defects department than in the doing a genuinely satisfactory job department.

I must admit to a general inability to actually finish a job. There always seems to be a new one with a higher priority.

In the 30 odd years I have been here I have only had a professional in 5 times and 3 of those times I have been sorely disappointed by the outcome. The one I kick myself most about was getting in an electrician to do my first consumer unit change back in the days (1980s) when I thought such things were done live. He of course just pulled the company fuse. When I came to add extra circuits I found I first had to completely rewire the consumer unit as the mess of spaghetti initially left no room for any additional wiring.

Reply to
Roger

I'd do it as it is. Certainly decorating is a non issue.

Reply to
Andy Hall

properly

Get Dave the Medway Handyman to come and sort it all out in a day for you while you relax down the pub !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have read his posts and wish there was somebody like him around here. I expect I am outside his area (East Lancs). I have toyed with getting someone in but I am sick of feeling ripped off and feeling like I could do a better job.

I will take the bull by the horns soon, the main problem is the mess and having no room for having loads of tools out.

I may build a whopping great shed first!

Reply to
R D S

So why read and post to this group?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What a splendid idea :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wouldn't pay for people trained not to get things finished properly.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The OP needs a nagging wife/girlfriend to make sure it is done properly. It works for me.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Perhaps you could upload an mp3 file to the DIY Wiki for the slackers. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

Not unless she tells me to.

Adam