Buying garden land ?

Hi all. Sorry if this question has been asked loads of times. Did look at the forum a could not see any posts.

Im looking at buying the bottom half of my naibours garden.

His garden is overgrown and according to him he has not touched it for

15 years. there is no grass left just 6ft tall stingers and over grown trees. when we moved in he allowed us to go into his garden to cut down some trees and bushes so my garden could get some sunlight.

I know he has sold half of his house to the bank. so what would i do about buying the land.

My garden is currently 723sqm . The land i would like to buy is 323sqm. taking my total garden space to 1/4 acre.

I have looked around online for a rough price. All i could find in my area was rough prices of land. about £11,000 per acre. so by my calculation it would be roughly £916.00 to buy his land. but this seems very very cheep to me. acre been over 4,000sqm so roughly goes into it

12 times.

there is only 3 houses on the road with full length gardens. as the other gardens was purchased for houses to be built on. this would take his garden size down to the same as all the others.

any information small or large would be great-full thank you

Any advice on what to do. ?

Reply to
corpy

The price per acre varies greatly with the size of the parcel, the quality of the land and the situation. To pick some figures out of the air for illustration, here a 5 acre property might be $200,000 ($40,000 per acre) and a 50 acre property might be $500,000 ($10,000 per acre). Go to local real estate agents and a check sale advertisements on the internet to get a feel for going rates in your region. See if you can check into historical records of real estate transactions to find out what similar parcels sold for in the last few years.

Check the title(s) that your neighbour holds. It makes a big difference whether his land is already subdivided or not. I don't know the law in your area but here a new subdivision would require surveying and local government approval which will add to costs, assuming that they will give approval.

Avoid making any offers until you have done your homework.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

This is an international newsgroup called rec.gardens (not a website form) and IIRC there are no regular UK posters in t his newsgroup so you will be asking in vain.

Gardenbanter steals posts made to the rec.gardens newsgroup and puts posts from round the world on their web site. If you don't know what a newsgroup is, look it up and then find and go to the newsgroup where British gardeners post. They will be more able to help you than we are. Good British gardeners post on the newsgroup called uk.rec.gardening

Reply to
FarmI