Maybe OT: Buying Land

Hi,

I am looking at buying a quarter acre of my neighbours garden. I approached her as she is selling so there is a plus from both sides. How much is it worth? It can't be built on at any time as its in the far corner of both houses and no access except through one of our houses.

I know its usually a case of its worth as much as you want to pay but I want to get a ball park figure on the price of a piece of garden land to work from.

Cheers

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Don't underestimate the ingenuity of developers. A local planning application involved buying one house in a square of about 25 houses, in order to demolish the garage at its side to allow access through to all the enclosed gardens. This would have allowed 4 or 5 houses to be built in the middle, which is the likely potential of your site. As it happens the scheme was turned down but had it proceeded the land would have been worth a lot. Depends on the pressure of housing where you live.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

land goes for 2000 pounds an acre to many millions, depending on location and possibilities. If I were you I would ask how much she wants and offer that plus legal expenses if it is an acceptable amount.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In article , Pedro Popadopolous writes

Depends on where you are!. Ask a local estate agent. They may well have some idea....

Reply to
tony sayer

| Hi, | | I am looking at buying a quarter acre of my neighbours garden. I approached | her as she is selling so there is a plus from both sides. How much is it | worth? It can't be built on at any time as its in the far corner of both | houses and no access except through one of our houses. | | I know its usually a case of its worth as much as you want to pay but I want | to get a ball park figure on the price of a piece of garden land to work | from.

Get your local estate agent to value it as the increase in value of the house if it add some extra garden.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| > I am looking at buying a quarter acre of my neighbours garden. I | > approached her as she is selling so there is a plus from both sides. How | > much is it worth? It can't be built on at any time as its in the far | > corner of both houses and no access except through one of our houses. | | | Don't underestimate the ingenuity of developers. A local planning | application involved buying one house in a square of about 25 houses, in | order to demolish the garage at its side to allow access through to all the | enclosed gardens. This would have allowed 4 or 5 houses to be built in the | middle, which is the likely potential of your site. As it happens the | scheme was turned down but had it proceeded the land would have been worth a | lot. Depends on the pressure of housing where you live.

True a developer is putting houses on a piece of land near us. They bought two houses and are going to demolish the two garages to provide access.

Another demolished four cottages to provide access to a big bit of land.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I just paid £7000 for an acre by the side of my house. the land is outside of the counties 'development boundary' so i cant build on it. i bought it for use as storage, veg plot and possibly to rent out for horsey use. i think eventualy they will alow building on it...so its a long term investment and will add value to the house and be of use in the meantime. i live in staffordshire, out in the sticks.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

What I have seen is a house, or two being built at the back with a road taken through between two houses. If a road can be taken through, and just on your land, then buy as cheap as possible and apply for planning permission. If it comes off you will making a killing. If you can borrow the money and get the house and road built and all legal aspect clear with the road being owned by the rear house, even better.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It really would not be easy to gain access, its only about an 1/8th of an acre and I want to build a pond :-)

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

good agricultural is about 3k an acre.

Since its of no intrinsic value for building purposes, its worth is what it improves your house value by.

Ask a local estate agent, and divide by two, and go up to 75% of that under negotiation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What a capitalist!! I'm shocked!!

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about a tunnel. :-) The tunnel could be an underground car port too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't forget legal costs on top.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

message

And the sort of development. Some councils are against back developments. But if a proper road is run through and a new close is created, they tend to look at it differently.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ahh Legal costs...........................

Any ideas on how much that would cost? I hope not as much as when buying a house...

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

i paid £250 all in.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Round my way, in very rural N Wales, an acre with a house is worth

25K, that acre will generally need fencing, have a nasty slope on it, and have soil that will support very little. You would then need planning permission to make it "garden", so no tennis courts, but its fine for a chickens/horces etc ... The same land, sold in bulk between farmers is worth 500-750 quid an acre.

I imagine your 1/4 of an acre is worth a heck of a lot more than you think. I'd get an estate agent in to tell you what it would do to your house value.

Rick

Reply to
Rick