Arc welder question.

Just for interest arising from another group, what sort of welder would require 150amps at 240? And also assuming no 3 phase supply?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:54:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" scrawled:

A very big one.

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

A bloody big!! one!....

Sure you don't mean its got a 150 amp output and doesn't need 150 from the mains?...

Reply to
tony sayer

That was my assumption. But the OP says no.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you mean 150 amps at 12V.

Reply to
Huge

More likely to be 3ph spot welder rated @ 3x50 amps [1], otherwise I suspect we are talking railway workshop or ship-yard style welders....!

[1] and will probably also require either a compressed air supply or come with some form of water cooling.....
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:54:16 +0100,it is alleged that "Dave Plowman (News)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Just MAYBE an industrial welder from a car factory, although I'd have assumed these beasts were designed for 415 3ph. Is it possible (having read your response about the OP insisting it says 150A @ 240v) that it says 15.0 A peak, and the decimal point wore off?

Reply to
Chip

Most arc welders have a working tip voltage of 20V. Say open circuit 50V. That's a minimum of 600A at the tip - maybe more. There's no way this would be practical on a single phase and it would be a 3 phase unit. For large/deep welding this sort of amperage may be required. Never seen one though.

Reply to
Fred

Well I have a 220amp stick welder running on single phase 240v and its rated input current at full power (a 4mm rod) is 28amps.

So, a *very* large one!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..