Garage electricity advice

On 10 Mar 2005, Chris Bacon wrote

Well, they may not be able to tell, but AIUI, since it's altering the system (and not just replacing), it would need to be notified.

Many of the local authority sites have posted the guidelines -- this one's from the EastHerts site (which also defines the "Special Locations" mentioned below); it's at

---------

Appendix A - Minor Work that need not be notified to Building Control

Work consisting of:

  • Replacing accessories such as socket outlets, control switches and ceiling roses * Replacing the cable for a single circuit only where damaged (a) * Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (b) * Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (c)

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (d) and consists of:

  • Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (e) * Adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (e) * Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (f)

Notes

(a)On condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board. (b) If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected. (c) If the circuit's protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation. (d) Special locations and installations are listed in Appendix B below. (e) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory. (f) Such work needs to comply with other applicable legislation such as the Gas Safety (installation and use) regulations.

------- (/quote) ---------

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Ah, yes, it would need to be notified, and I'd need to pay a fee. However, if I don't notify them, they won't know! Thanks for posting that additional information, it all seems to be absolutely impossible for them to keep tabs on. I'll start planning the new ring!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I need to replace an old external armoured cable to my garage. What do the regulations say about the cable to be used.

Do I need to use new armoured cable or can I use T&E in Flexicon?

Regards

Reply to
newman

I'd use armoured. The common sizes ain't really anymore expensive than trying to protect T&E properly. TLC is a good source for cut lengths.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would the T&E and Flexicon be against regulations? The route is up a wall and across a 3 ft. timber and into the garage.

Regards

Reply to
newman