How to become a domestic electrician in the UK

I have had a lot of questions from people asking how to become a qualified electrician (England and Wales), so I am putting on a series of one day events to explain how you can do it.

am currently trading very successfully as an electrician. I am fully qualified registered and legal, which I did without and further training, simply by applying what I already knew from previous jobs. The trick is knowing how to comply with all the convoluted bureaucracy.

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

All but very minor electrical works now has to be notified, (since January

2005) to Building Control (Building Regulations Part P). The installation must be installed or tested and certified by a registered 'Competent Person'. Becoming a registered competent person is not cheap. I have worked in the construction industry as an electrician, electrical designer, contracts / project manager for forty years plus, on all manner of electrical installations and even I would not be classed as a competent person unless I became registered.

You consider you can train / teach 'many' people, providing them with enough knowledge, to become a qualified electrician, in one day, when it took me, and many like me, a five year apprenticeship to become qualified. I think not.

Send me a list of the people who take your course so I can avoid them if I ever need any part of my installation certified.

Reply to
Bright Spark

Can you clarify what you're offering?

Is it information about becoming Part P qualified - i.e. careers advice?

Is it actual training in electrical work?

Is it training that wholly or partly leads to a Part P qualification?

Is it information/training about other routes to compliance such as full plans/building notices?

Could you list the qualifications you hold?

Reply to
dom

Actually, it's installed by a 'Competent Person' or tested and certified by the Local Authority (or someone they assign) who does not need to be a 'Competent Person' (and can be a DIY-installer themselves if the Local Authority inspector is happy they know what they're doing).

However, the whole scheme is being ignored by most parties (electricians, many Building Control Officers, and the public), most of whom are not the slighest bit interested in it. The government department which introduced it have now admitted they way over-estimated the number of electrical accidents/deaths in the original Regulatory Impact Document (by including incidents due to appliance faults, which are actually the majority of incidents and not relevant for Part P).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Only when a house is sold may a test be applicable. People are taking it seriously. Heating fitters who previously would do the wiring are now getting Part P certified electricians to do it. The same with kitchen being fitted by the major chains.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well at least that's a plus. Most of the wiring I've seen done by a plumber - even although the plumbing is immaculate - is dreadful. Probably think it's beneath them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My two indirect experiences of CORGI heating installations and one of a kitchen being fitted since Part P range from no observance of Part P whatsoever, to using it as an excuse not to do any of the electrical work and just plug the boiler into a socket outlet ("that's all we're allowed to do now, gov.").

No electrical test is applicable when a house is sold. Not even was one included as part of the government's now abandoned Home Condition Report.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can quote you verbatim from the RICS Homebuyer's survey on the house I am currently buying, I suspect they put the same on every survey - still "caveat emptor":

"Visible wiring and fittings appear to be satisfactory with no obvious defects. However, the

system is unlikely to comply with the very latest standards and some upgrading may be

required. Further advice and estimates should be obtained from a qualified electrician.

The Institute of Electrical Engineers recommend that domestic installations should be

inspected every five years. It should be noted that any larger repair and alteration works

now require Building Regulation approval, unless carried out by an approved contractor. If

there is no evidence of a recent test, we advise that one should now be carried out.

ACTION - You are advised to arrange for a qualified electrician, preferably NICEIC

or ECA
approved, to test the installation and quote for

any necessary remedial work."

Reply to
Bob Mannix

There isn't any such thing as "Part P qualification" is there?

Reply to
tinnews

OK - Part P exemption for the pedant!

Reply to
dom

I agree, it's not my intention to train people to be competent in one day. What I am offering is a comprehensive, impartial guide of everything you need to know to comply with the requirements. Some will need further training and experience some will not.

A five year apprenticeship is one method, but in not necessary.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

installation

(electricians,

The IET recommend a test periodiclly every 10 years

Reply to
Stephen

The IET recommend a test when the house is sold

Reply to
Stephen

Yes

I qualified as a "competant person" about a year ago and my main difficulty was finding a single source of impartial information, on what I actually had to do. I have designed this one day event therefore to provide a list of all the registering bodies, qualifications and acreditations you need. If you have anough experience and initiative, this may be all you need. I have in fact got people up and trading in one phone call. You may well need further training and experience after the day, but you will leave with a complete cheklist and plan.

I also run specific courses on all aspects of the job technical organisational and business, if you need any subsequent advice

No it's not, however I will point you to all the relevant information and standards you need

That depends on what qualifications and experience you already have, but that is the basic intent

Yes if you mean how to perfom work legally without being a registered "competant person"

I have an Honours Degree in Electronic Engineering (BSc Hons) am a Chartered Electrical Engineer CEng) a Member of the Institute of Engineering Technology (MIET) (Formerly the Institute of Electrical Engineerin IEE) and am a Project Managment Profesional (PMP) registered with the Project Management Institute (PMI) a class A competent registered electrician with the National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT)

Reply to
Stephen

I meant rather that you can't "qualify" for it, the only way to be able to 'self certify' which is what I assume is meant is to be a member of a 'select' group of trade organisations. There's no qualification as such required, you can't get this status by training or taking exams.

Reply to
tinnews

The way to self certify is by qualifying to be accepted a registered competent person, for which you must meet certain criteria of training, competence and assessed ability.

Reply to
Stephen

The message from "Stephen" contains these words:

So how do electricians do it?

Reply to
Guy King

Do you want to know in general or do you have a specific enquiry?

Reply to
Stephen

Not as I (and just about everyone else here) understands it, the only people who can self certify are members of NICEIC or a couple of other trade bodies.

Reply to
tinnews

Not true I'm afraid, this only covers domestic (household) electrical work but I've worked on pubs, cinemas and nightclubs with no problems at all and I'm not even an electrician, more to the point, no one asked nor cared.

Reply to
Phil L