How to become an Electrician?

Hi i wish to do a course to become an Electrician, i've been doing a little reading and i know i need to do the first 2 year one, but what about the rest. I'm in full time work so this will have to be a part time course in the night, is that an issue?

c&g2330 Part 1 Year 1 c&g2330 Part 2 Year 2 c&g2381 16th Edition c&g2391 inspection and testing

Now the 2381 wont be needed as the 16th will already be in the 2330?

Also what about Part P?

Any advice would be greart, i've read there are courses which will do the above in a year, but how can they do this?

Reply to
htmark98

Enrol at your nearest college for the nightly courses.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes i'm getting on to that, but was wondering if the above is the normal that most people have?

Reply to
htmark98

What kind of aptitude do you already have? Have you wired a house for example?

Not so. You should ask your college when they recommend doing it, but it will probably be before you do Part 2, and might be before or in parallel with Part 1. In any case, if you don't find 2381 easy, you probably aren't cut out to be an electrician.

Part P isn't about technical ability/compitence. Pick up the trade mag at a wholesale counter, and you'll find plenty of adverts to relieve you of some dosh in exchange for Part P.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many thanks, i spoke to the college all starts in September.

They said they are changing Level 1 to something else but he wont have the exact details untill August time. It will be a 1 day(4hr) a week, and said it would involve Lighting/ring circuits etc. Then Level 2 will be 2 days (8hrs) a week and involve alot more practical work. As he did'nt have the summary on him he said there was a little part on 2381 (16th) in there but unsure where. The 2391 invloves being tested (duh!) which also can be done at the college aaswell. I'm looking forward to it, not for the money aspected but i have quite a skilled job but it's the same everyday and very boring also there's no career path with it. So want to change that bit of it.

I've read that these are the easiest bit to get, it's the job that's the hardest. Has anyone gone straight from this to self employed?

I know Part P is not a abilty etc, but how do you get yourself to self cert? (how much a year would this cost)

Thanks for your help, been great.

Reply to
htmark98