Fully Electric Car available soon

Yes.

I saw my first Prius in our local town the other day. It did a left turn up the hill just as I reached the corner. It accelerated quite quickly, definitely not a slug. Whether or not the Prius is successful is open to debate, but it is technically interesting.

Reply to
Tony Williams

It "is" successful. It has been made now for 9 years. There is a waiting list in some countries. They sell like hot cakes in central London the congestion charge is waved for it, and free parking in many towns and cities. They are making millions of them now. New plants in China and the USA for each respective market are being built. Toyota are also working in its successor. Citroen have announced a diesel hybrid. I don't know much about it, in how it is confifured (Toyota have the best arrangement) but it gets over 80mpg on "average". They exceeded the magic 3 litres per 100 kilometres consumption.

Prius is also brilliant to drive. A real fun car. They are highly reliable as there is little to go wrong compared to other cars with auto transmissions.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wanker.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You're the root cause, treat others with respect and you'll get it in return. You don't like being treated the way you treat others.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Get a life.

Reply to
Steve Firth

First sign is using words like "abive".

Reply to
Steve Firth

The normal gas distribution network would allow local generation of electricity without alteration? I find that very hard to believe.

In what way? He's theorizing what may be possible. Crystal ball time again.

Indeed. However, more *major* investment needed. Which has to be paid for. And as we all know the customer pays in the end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a bit of a worry considering how long they have been available and how cheap they are to run - if dribble's claims are to be believed. A minicab would recoup the capital cost extremely quickly if it were true.

Of course they're interesting - but just not practical for the UK. They make some sense as a town only car for the rich who want to appear to care about the environment in the US. But cost too much to both run and buy in the UK compared to a small diesel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unlike you I live in Central London. And know of three. The one I know well belongs to a work colleague and it is shortly to be replaced by a diesel. Its open road performance and economy are simply too poor to be competitive for it to be any use as a main family car.

The only other owner I've talked to is a neighbour who is retired and never goes any distance. Total milage about 3000 a year mainly in town. He likes it. But then has never driven a decent car. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not when you know that I live out in the sticks and visit town as little as possible. :)

You are probably right Dave, but if someone has the money to waste on a hybrid let them do it, it's no skin off your nose......... someone has to pay for exploring the alternatives will probably be needed in the future.

Reply to
Tony Williams

This is a sad case going downhill rapidly. Note above where he has changed my text and the constant abusive words. A very sad case. Very sad indeed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It has to be snipped as people may read this again.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Prius is not a worry at all. he thinks it will compete with his loafers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wanker.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wanker.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Richard Cranium is not right at all. he is prattling total bollocks. I have a Prius.

An old wives tale - you have been reading the uk-d-i-y Lunatic Association members to much. The Prius is now competitive. The Prius has the internal space just short of a of a Camry, externally the same size as an Avensis. It is no supermarket runabout. They are "very" cheap to run indeed. They are great to drive and worth getting for the fun factor alone.

In London the extra cost of one, which isn't that much more, is soon clawed back by fuel saved and no congestion charge. They are superb in every respect. And they don't hang around either. It can keep up with all fast London traffic.

People who ride with me for the first time not knowing it is a hybrid have a strange feeling. No noise on take off as it is on electric. The engine comes in with relation to speed, etc.

By the end of the year there will be plenty of hybrids around and they appear the way forward until the full EVs are plentiful.

An automotive design engineer friend of mine, says that in 4x4s, which gobble fuel at the mo', it is feasible to have an electric motor in wheel in hub arrangement and an IC engine with rotary valves tuned to optimum efficiency turning a generator. A old idea. The engine would turn at optimised constant speed (staged). Brake regen would be incorporated with a large Lithion battery set to act as a buffer and electric only in town and slow moving. The problem is that to implement the motor in hub would take a long time in testing, and they are not technically really totally familiar with the technology, so they drop the idea. They predicted the fuel used would be far less than the current clunkers.

The Coates rotary valve company, who also make a motorbike with this type of rotary valve. They "claim" 18% more efficiency, which is probably twice what it really is. They claim that for the same rpm a converted Fiord V8 gave twice the ho and torque. The engines can also go up to 10,000 revs with any problems. Coates is Irish but US based. Porsche bought the licence for his rotary ball valves. Porsche would not be buying the in the technology to save fuel, more to have high revs, more torque and hp for a smaller unit.

Doctor Drivel

Could be, but it's probably not because of the car...

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is a very sad case. Yes people, you are looking at a man totally detached from reality. He is probably beyond redemption and beyond professional help. A very sad case. No doubt he will change my words thinking this is clever. Sad indeed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" fresh in from kicking shit wrote in message news:1gjzetabn21s3.xaj567ukfmi$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net...

Just read the above. sad isn't it. He is a grown man too. He should be taken into care for his own good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel