Fugenboy

Wow. I'm impressed...

Siliconed round the bath yesterday, using those little things.

Today, it looks like the dog's... Not *absolute perfection* by flippin close. And I class myself as a "silicone numpty".

SWMBO was very pleased. Another good tip from uk.d-i-y :)

On an aside, I found Mapei Mapesil AC quite nice (one of those that's available in six million colours). Seemed slightly more fluid than my usual stuff, with a bit less "goo factor" - quite nice to shape and wipe off.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W

Another convert :-)

I don't think anyone believes how something so simple can be so effective - until they try it.

Thats where I found out about them.

I don't let customers see me using them though :-) I prefer them to think its consumate skill :-)

All we need now is an easier way of getting the old stuff off :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Adrian C

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 17:16

Reply to
Tim W

Adrian C wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 17:19

Beat me to it.

In that case, I retract and raise you one thermite :)

Reply to
Tim W

Therm...

Reply to
<me9

Ah, the thermal lance. 7000-8000°F (3900-4400°C). Yup, that'll do it. :-)

or Silicon Eater, noted not exactly cheap - so I tend to make do by skiming the stuff off with a single ended razor blade.

Reply to
Adrian C

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:29:46 GMT, had this to say:

WD-40 has to be the ultimate answer (hasn't it?)...

It seems to be specifically designed to do everything to solve the world's problems.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Your name just went to the top of the list - come the revolution....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:48:29 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" had this to say:

Wait until somebody leaks this top secret list... There'll be trouble ahead.

Stand by, all you WD-40 shareholders...

(Just because it sort of occasionally smells niceish doesn't mean that it's a panacea - honestly.)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The other big silicone tip is a can of IPA solvent (CPC) - cleans up wet silicone nice and cleanly with no stickiness. (good for wiping off your tool after the job!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Its not a panacea or any other type of Italian food. And it works!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Beer?

Reply to
mark

John Rumm wibbled on Monday 26 October 2009 06:24

I've got some - I'll try that. Meths works to a degree, which is what I've been using.

Ooo-errr missus

Reply to
Tim W

Doesn't it sting?

Reply to
PeterC

It would seem a waste....

isopropyl alcohol

Reply to
John Rumm

Meths is probably easier to get hold of for most of us. Is silicone soluble in alcohol I wonder?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Its the special clinic for you m'boy ...

Reply to
geoff

A slight highjack here - having scraped the old stuff off (and please don;t suggest the grinder !), what's the best thing to clean the surface (marble to tiles) before re-siliconing, using of course a Fugenboy !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I always use meths and a Tesco microfibre cloth. The microfibres really doa good job. 3 for 89p.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman