How to clear a waste-pipe?

I have a very long (15m), almost horizontal, external waste-pipe used to drain a washing machine in a utility-room. The flow down this pipe does not seem as fast as it used to be. I'm wondering what the best method is to clear the pipe?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 12:33

If the pipe were gunked with fatty residue I might run some warm caustic soda down it - even better, block teh outlet, fill the pipe and leave overnight.

In the case of a washing machine, I suspect the gunk is more alkaline in nature. Assuming the pipe is copper or plastic, perhaps a similar approach with diluted brick acid (HCl) - perhaps a final dilution of 5% HCl to water (that's 1:4 or 1:6 brick acid to water depending on original being 20% or

30%); that's not *particularly* dangerous (mind your eyes though).

Again, block the pipe if you can, fill and leave.

Reply to
Tim W

Far too technical Tim

What is wrong with a long stick?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 13:19

Just when I was going to move onto suggesting thermite ;->

Reply to
Tim W

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the second one first - I can block the pipe at the far end.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Was this a serious suggestion? As I mentioned, the pipe is about 15m long. I did think of using one of these wire pipe-cleaners, which might reach the beginning of the pipe.

Incidentally, the pipe runs over someone else's roof, so it is difficult to access directly.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yes, a garden cane or similar could clear a pipe. I would then try Tim's suggestion of a "cleaner" with the end blocked off after the stick suggestion.

A set of ladders and a word with the neighbour before you start work should do it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

99% of householders say that Thermite is their prefered drain cleaner (Sunderland Evening News)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Timothy Murphy wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 14:24

In that case, perhaps ignore the "night bit" and do it in the day. Keep an eye out of any leaks (in case there's a bad joint and the gunk is holding it togther...) Wouldn't want nasty chemicals dropping on someone's roof unexpectedly...

Reply to
Tim W

ARWadsworth wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 14:39

Yes... I always imagine the plumbing in my rented house - full of bends and no inspection caps, so chemical terrorism is the only way.

But sticks/rods are good if it is straight and/or accessible via caps...

Reply to
Tim W

Hot water and caustic soda usually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

merging with the unwanted neighbors thread, definitely a case for Thermite. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ferret?

Reply to
pete

For the kitchen sink drain which occasionally gets blocked up with foodstuffs, I undo an outside access cover and feed in the garden hose running with water. Takes a little while wiggleing it in and out, but eventually it washes the muck out.

Reply to
Adrian C

For the £30ish cost of new pipe and fittings, I'd chuck the old one away, just to save the hassle of trying to clean out some gunked up filth. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Dunno about 'best' method but a wet'n'dry vac can sometimes suck the crud out of a waste pipe.

Reply to
YAPH

Yes, I had better watch out for that. In fact, the neighbour put in the pipe - the water used to run through a gutter on his roof.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I've got a drain pipe to clear too, but after 6 inches there is a right-angle corner. How do I get the stick around the corner? :)

Reply to
Matty F

Mark Bluemel

Bendy stick or remove the bend?