Panasonic bath fan... wow.

Since I got my annual bonus check a few weeks ago, I've been picking up a few things here and there that I've been putting off buying "until I have the cash" (yes, I'm old fashioned, barring emergencies the credit card gets paid off every month and I don't touch my savings account, which I'm attempting to build up to 3 months' after tax income. I know, that's unAmerican.)

Anyway, to the point. I need a bath fan, but I am a bit particular, I wanted something better than the typical rattly "builder's grade" fan, so I did possibly an obsessive amount of research and eventually it came down to a tossup between a Fantech remote mount fan and a Panasonic conventional fan. Since I was going to duct this out the side wall of the house, I settled on a Panasonic (50CFM "WhisperGreen") because the ducting for same would be much simpler, and there really isn't any "remote" to mount the blower (couldn't get it more than a foot or two away from the ceiling grille anyway.)

It showed up today, and since I don't know when I'll actually get all the prep work done necessary to install it (run new circuit from breaker panel at the exact opposite corner of house and down two floors, cut new box in the wall for switches and GFCI, run new wire to light and location of fan, then actually install the darn thing) I grabbed an old power cord from my junk box and just temporarily wired it up to try it out, just in case something was wrong with it I could identify it right away and not discover that I'd wasted $100 3 mos. down the road when I went to install it.

Holy crap, I am so glad that I spent the money. That sucker is QUIET. And it's got this cool feature where it varies the speed of the motor so that it delivers its rated CFM no matter what the resistance of the ductwork; if you hold your hand over the outlet you can hear (barely) the motor speed up. Pretty neat stuff. Gotta hand it to them, that's a quality piece... sure, it's just a bath fan, but I am impressed. I'd have been happy with a fan 3x as loud, and I bet any visitors would be impressed by the quietness... I honestly have never in my life heard a bath fan so quiet.

Now I'm motivated to get 'er done. Hopefully it'll be warm enough this weekend to work in the attic... (was going to start last weekend, but due to an annoying convergence of various factors starting with a blown clutch hose on an old Porsche, I didn't...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I haven't used a credit card in about 10 years.

They're EVIL!

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

How long since you've used a fart fan or deodorant, for that matter!?

LOL

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Noisy bath fans have always been a pet peeve of mine as well, especially when one person is trying to sleep while another is in the bathroom. I would point out though, that some people _like_ the white noise they generate, as it can mask other more natural sounds... :)

Uhhh... nope, too easy. :)

Reply to
Robert Neville

A new circuit just to install a bath fan? Can't you just tap into the circuit that currently powers the bathroom light? Sure it's nice to have a bathroom on a separate circuit, but if you're just adding a fan to an existing bathroom it's usually fine to just tap in to what's there, assuming it isn't overloaded.

Reply to
James Sweet

I know,

them, that's a

=EF=BF=BDI'd

h this

why a new circuit just for a fan? use existing circuit or tack onto another ore convenient one, that doesnt require a new line back to the breaker box........

glad you found a good fan

Reply to
hallerb

There is one 15A circuit powering the entire second floor, and it's not properly grounded. House was built in '48. I figure if I'm going to mess with it, I might as well start by at least bringing the bathroom electrics up to code. I did put an AFCI on the old 15A circuit, and future plans involve replacing the 2-wire switch legs with 3-wire, replacing the ceiling boxes with fan boxes (SWMBO has expressed interest in installing ceiling fans at some point in the future) possibly splitting north and south sides into separate circuits, and either repulling or running supplemental grounds to all receptacles.

sheesh, that sounds like work.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I just replied to another poster asking same question, long answer short

- only one 15A ckt. serves entire 2nd floor, should repull it all anyway (ungrounded,) no receptacle in bathroom, lots of reasons.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

Same here Nate but I have one "unless". That's if I have 0% rate. And I won't even take 0% if it has a balance transfer fee. I had recently called my credit card cust service for an administrative thing. Of course at the end they are quick to offer you something before hanging up. This time a 0% balance xfer offer (like the 3 per month they send). I interrupt with is there a balance transfer fee? Oh yea, but it's a low

3%. I told her I know you're just doing your job but you can feedback to them that that's nothing but a fund raiser for a computer doing 3ms of work.

Tempting to tap into it when there's a senate seat for sale isn't it?

Reply to
Red Green

Not sure where you're coming from. I'll take a chance you're not a troll. ;-)

I do use a debit card. It's the "credit" part I have a problem with. I used to have a couple. My wife had a couple and we were paying about $80 interest each month. I put an end to it and never looked back. Don't miss them at all.

If you get a chance check out:

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Panasonic generally makes pretty good consumer level stuff. Hope it holds up indefinetly for you.

Reply to
badgolferman

Ah, yeah that sounds like it falls under the category of the existing circuit is overloaded :)

Friend's house was like that, I replaced the old fuse box last year with a nice 200A breaker panel, lot of work that was, but it passed the inspection. More recently I think I added 11 entire new circuits to the house, I think more than it had in the first place.

Reply to
James Sweet

Why would you not be able to restrain the use of a credit card just as you do with a debit card. I put EVERYTHING on my credit card and get many hundreds of dollars back in rebates every year. Plus I have an extra years warranty on stuff purchased with it. Plus, if there is a problem with something I buy and the seller won't make good I file a claim and get my money back, .. good luck doing that with a debit card.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Funny you should mention that. You can do exactly that with a debit card too. You just choose credit even though it's not. I know because I looked into it when we bought Viva Aerobus tickets by accident and they wouldn't refund the money. It's also a suggestion mentioned on the Clark Howard radio show.

As far as my will power goes I could handle a credit card but my wife is another story. But I don't need a credit card. Ever since debit cards came out I just don't have any use. I suppose if there was a reason strong enough I'd get one.

Thanks for playing!

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

I use mine for buying online, the number has been stolen once, contested the charges and didn't have to pay. If that happens to your debit card, you can get the money back, but it is gone in the near term and you won't see it for a few weeks.

Reply to
James Sweet

In the 10 years or so I've gone w/o "credit" cards I've never had this as an issue except with Viva Aerobus. BTW: We just kept the tickets and sold them to a friend of ours who was going with us.

I can see where prudent use of credit cards can be advantageous but for the vast majority of Americans they have been a curse and not a blessing. Particularly with young people. They get caught up in the revolving credit trap so easily. Even ones that make good money. My son for one!

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Hmmm, Wonder what your credit rating is? Nothing wrong using it as long as you control it. How do you rent a car when yoy travel then? Carry a stash of cash? Or never went on a cruise or vacation far away in last 10 years? Amazing!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi,

3 months? Is there a minus sign in front of that number 3?, LOL! Probably I'll last next 20 years from my savings. Then I'll be 90! I am still working running my own business after retiring from my career at Honeywell.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Last I checked in the high 700's. Debit cards do just about all I need.

Oh..Hawaii, Cancun, Tampa Bay, Disney World, San Francisco, NYC, Seattle, Vancouver, Niagara Falls. We like to travel. Went to NYC this summer. Hotter than hell! But was fun anyway.

You're right about the "control" part. If you're interested read my other posts in this thread.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Hi, I don't use debit card. I use credit cards and collect points as much as I can. This summer we had Baltic cruise with Air Mile points. Never been outside American continents? Already booked for Panama cruise with Aeropoint for summer next year. I was hopping all continents during my working days. Only thing I give up is my 5th wheel trailer for camping.

Reply to
Tony Hwang