Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol?

I think you will find it is 272.5 but, even if it was 273 it would be naturally gaseous at that temperature.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I know. I am not quibbling about the temperature it boils at, whether it be 273K, 272.5K, or 272.76419462549402K - just agreeing that at STP butane is gas.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ah. Difficult to distinguish from what you wrote!

As to the original point, were one in temperatures below freezing, I imagine (though I have never tried it) butane would make a good solvent. Not immensely practical though!

Perhaps one could keep a jamjar of liquid butane in the freezer (how to get it in there??) and dunk things in it (after freezing them first, of course) to degrease them. DONT TRY THIS AT HOME

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

A rapidly boiling liquid. It will last a fair time if you have an open bucket though. Much as a bucket of water will in a 120C oven.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tony Bryer saying something like:

Nah, it's safe, mate...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

By that argument Carbon Dioxide is a solid at STP as, if you get a big chunk of it, it lasts a fair while :o)

The statement "is a liquid at STP" is generally inferred as meaning "when the whole mass of the liquid is at 0degC"

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Isn't STP 25C, 760mm?

Reply to
David Bostwick

No. At least, half no :o). Such questions are more easily answered via Google - at least it keeps noise of the ng if you do :o)

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk contains these words:

You turn 'em upside down, press the valve stem - and out comes a squirt. Simple.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

You sure? I thought STP was 20°C. Butane boils at -0.5°C

Reply to
Guy King

Oh yes, thats the stuff.

Or butane...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from snipped-for-privacy@chemistry.gatech.edu (David Bostwick) contains these words:

My memory told me it was 20°C but it turns out to be 0°C.

Reply to
Guy King

Not in this country but go to the poles in the winter it will.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nope that is SATP (A for ambient)

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

As I later spotted.

Reply to
Guy King

0.5C is the boling point at standard pressure according to my reference.

Reply to
Chris Street

I think that's RTP

STP is 0C and 101325Pa (not exactly sure how the temperature is defined)

Reply to
Chris Street

There are a couple of commercial products sold for similar purpose. Goof-Off and Goo-Gone. One of them will remove paint, I forget which is which.

Reply to
charles

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

I think you may have missed the "-" sign. All the referrences I can find give it as -0.5°C.

And given that most dry land is above sea level you can expect for practical applications it'll boil lower than that.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from charles contains these words:

Or this stuff, for plasters...

Guy King