Solvent for parcel tape residue?

One of the windows on my car stuck open yesterday and until I could fix it I rain-proofed the gap by covering it with a couple of strips of that 2" wide thin brown parcel tape - which was a mistake. Today, it peeled off the glass with no problems whatsoever but it's left a horrible sticky residue on the plastic window surround and the metal bodywork.

To remove it I've so far tried WD40, acetone, surgical spirit and meths, none of which has had the slightest effect. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

In message , Bert Coules writes

I've wondered about this too:-)

Anytime someone parks a vehicle blocking one of my gateways they get a polite advisory notice attached to their side window. I have a supply of those sticky backed *documents inside* transparent bags.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IPA seems to work well on most.

Reply to
Ericp

Try Swarfega and elbow grease after a half an hour to soak in.

Some of the things that would dissolve it are too aggressive to use on automotive paint finishes without risk of collateral damage.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Try some lighter fluid, seems to work on most sticky stuff

Reply to
Toby

petrol maybe be safe on car plastics.

also lighter fluid.

I'd steer clear of cellulose thinners like acetone tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IPA perhaps? I seem to also recall cpc used to sell some label remover stuff that was very good at getting any glue off, but I have none left and have forgotten what it was called now! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm surprised he got away with acetone. its a cellulose solvent after all. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The tape itself is made of polyester, though not pre stretched like recording tape is. I also note that with some heat the glue does tend to go soft. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Iso propyl alcohol.

'sticky stuff remover', a.k.a. limonene-based oily stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Attaching which constitutes criminal damage, even if no actual damage results.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The paint probably isn't cellulose based though, unless it is quite an old car.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Most car paint is water-based nowadays.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Angle Grinder

Reply to
Nthkentman

er, Label remover? ISTR screwfix, toolstation do it as well as CPC

Reply to
newshound

But not the shiny top coat.

-
Reply to
Mark

Aerosol of label remover from CPC.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Green plastic kitchen scourer and WD40 or IPA.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Yes. So what?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. I have some Ecover terpene-based cleanser and that got superglue of a car and didn't damage the paint. I assume that limonene is similar (CBATL).

Reply to
PeterC