I have a cement basement floor that has never been sealed or painted. I am
getting a white residue from time to time. Bleach does not get rid of it, so
I'm figuring that maybe this is a mineral deposit? The basement has high
humidity and is musty at times. Ideas?
I was wondering if applying a seal coat would elimate this.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Is that what is called "Efflorescence"; i.e. what happens when
excessive moisture leaches lime and other chemical 'salts' out of
the cement. Since cement is made with lime (Calcium Hydroxide?),
an alkaline, I guess that using bleach (Sodium
Hydroxide/Hypochloride or is it Hypochlorite?) wouldn't do
anything to 'dissolve' the whitish residue or crust?
Is acid ever used? What's that stuff that bricklayers use to
clean up lime mortar splashes etc.
Perhaps someone with a better grasp than my out of date and
poorly remembered High School Chemistry could come to the rescue?
High humidity? Wet ground? Poor drainage under basement floor?
Rot, allergies to mould, damp insulation etc. Some ventilation
Water is pushing up and effloresing, muriatic acid will remove it .
You should run a dehumidifier . I take it you have no drain tile
system. You probably have a high water table and it will continue.
Paint will only peel till you fix it.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:46:21 -0600 (CST), firstname.lastname@example.org (mark
i wonder, is it only seen on the floor slab? do you see anything at
the foundation walls?
how old is the house? was there work done to increase the basement
height by digging down? its going to be hard to find if you have a
drain tile or not, and harder to install not to mention big bucks. you
have to help minimize the water going to your foundation. start out
with the downspouts, make sure they extend out from the wall about
6ft, the further the less water outside your foundation.
Whoa, some correct names are: lye is sodium hydroxide,
bleach is sodium hypochlorite, lime is calcium oxide, and
slaked lime is wet calcium oxide (calcium hydroxide). All
are basic, so to dissolve them you need an acid. Weak
hydrochloric acid will dissolve the white stuff.
Improved drainage would probably help, and you might improve
your situation if you better manage runoff from your roof
(move it away from the house) but if you have poor
subsurface drainage you might not be able to do much about
it without great expense. Beyond that I'll leave it to the
concrete specialists. Ventilation will certainly help in
reducing any possible mold problems.
I remember both of you!
is Chief, Art
is Art, Chief
if your not sure ...........goby yourself a clue.
I could sell you one real cheap.
want to play "Where's Art"?
admit it.....you miss me!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.