Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol?

Different sort of lighter.... The OP was talking about the type with a wick that use flint spark ignition only, and then stay lit until you close the cap on them. These are quite different from the normal gas lighters.

Reply to
John Rumm

I discovered that when using a butane stove while camping in winter. I had to share my sleeping bag with the gas bottle if I wanted a hot breakfast. (Hint: propane doesn't suffer from that problem.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Where do you find these 'cans' from which "a squirt of butane or propane from the can" may be produced? All the propane and butane that I've seen comes in pressurised containers.

Or am I being silly - can you get little cans of propane/butane for filling lighters (which is where we came in).

Reply to
usenet

Yes, cans of lighter gas are butane, and you can squirt liquid butane from them. But this is of little use as a degreasing solvent - yes the butane will dissolve the grease, but it will evaporate very shortly afterwards, leaving the grease behind. A degreasing solvent needs to carry away the grease it has dissolved in order for it to be useful.

Reply to
Grunff

Zippo, for example.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

It's all that sniffing it to make sure it worked. :-) LOL Join the crowd mate. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Hi Gnuff, I am the OP and, yes, I started by asked about the petrol type of lighter fuel. I guess it would be possible to read the way I wrote: "can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff)" as referring to those butane gas aerosol cans because the butane gas in them is stored as a liquid. However my original intention was to ask about petrol lighter fuel.

SO butane wasn't what I meant but I am always looking out for a good solvent for sticky labels and the like. So I was intrigued by recent posts to this thread like these:

However, I must say that when i tried this I found that the butane gas evaporated so quickly that I barely get the chance to use it. Maybe if I could use it then I would be able to wipe any dissolved residue away with a cloth but unfortunately it is all eveoprated in a few seconds and I can't do much with pressurized butane at all.

:-(

Reply to
Joe Smith

No, it's true. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

I am the OP and, yup, you are quite right. I have to say though that I was slightly ambiguous and the reader who didn't see "petrol" might have thought of lighter fuel which is a liquid when it is stored (eg butane) rather than one which is a liquid in storage and in usage (eg petrol).

However, anything which does a good job of removing those sticky backed foam pads (or any other awkward self-adhesive items) is always welcome. Surprisingly I found that propanol was rather poor at dissolving this particular adhesive.

Reply to
Joe Smith

Put the container and the item to be cleaned in the freezer and it'll stay liquid for some considerable time in fact.

Reply to
Chris Street

Butane is liquid at STP

Reply to
Chris Street

How do you get over the small matter of the boiling point of n-butane being just below 0C ? (Iso-butane boils about 10C lower.)

A puddle of it might sit for some time at STP, but ultimately it will end up as a gas.

Reply to
John Laird

That's 0 degrees C isn't it? What's butane's boiling point? It evaporates very fast at room temperature, as you discover when you unscrew an unresealable cartridge from your camping stove!

Reply to
Paul Rooney

No it isn't

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Boils at 273K if I've read my book correctly.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

272.7K
Reply to
Grunff

Interesting. How do you plan to keep this propane and butane liquid then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup.

Reply to