Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:04:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or butane...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

put
Everyone seems to be taking this the wrong way. I mean a squirt of butane or propane from the can on to a stained item can help to dissolved and clean the stain off.
Why the hell does everyone take things in the purely scientific scheme in here. Things don't have to be broken down to the science of their workings all the time, and it is mostly sufficient to make a statement that will work without having to go into the pure science of how the stain is actually created in the fibres of the item all the time.
Advice on things that work, as long as it's safe advice, is what this group is all about. Why are all you scientist not doing some research work during the day or night anyway? I think it's because you're all "know it alls" and no one will work alongside you all.
A little squirt of from a can of butane on to a stain can help in removing it. I know this works because I've used it on many occasions. I've never had to take the item in to a pressure chamber so I can make the butane or propane stay as a liquid, I've never had to because a simple little squirt from a can has always been enough.
Now please, get a real life all of you. :-)
BigWallop wrote:

If we had a life, do you think we'd be talking to you?

My point exactly. Thanks for that PC Paul. :-)) Someone with a bit sense at last. LOL
BigWallop wrote:

If in here, you mean : uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc then I dunno.
But over on sci.chem, that's what the newsgroup is all about. Read the charter for the group in question before you crosspost. You can edit out groups even as you reply.

in
Extremely sorry Sir. I didn't mean to cause offence amongst the other groups. I did of course mean the uk.d-i-y group only. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Where do you find these 'cans' from which "a squirt of butane or propane from the can" may be produced? All the propane and butane that I've seen comes in pressurised containers.
Or am I being silly - can you get little cans of propane/butane for filling lighters (which is where we came in).
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Yes, cans of lighter gas are butane, and you can squirt liquid butane from them. But this is of little use as a degreasing solvent - yes the butane will dissolve the grease, but it will evaporate very shortly afterwards, leaving the grease behind. A degreasing solvent needs to carry away the grease it has dissolved in order for it to be useful.
--
Grunff

On Fri 22 Jul 2005 10:34:01, Grunff wrote: <

However, I must say that when i tried this I found that the butane gas evaporated so quickly that I barely get the chance to use it. Maybe if I could use it then I would be able to wipe any dissolved residue away with a cloth but unfortunately it is all eveoprated in a few seconds and I can't do much with pressurized butane at all.
:-(
from snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk contains these words:

You turn 'em upside down, press the valve stem - and out comes a squirt. Simple.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Butane is liquid at STP
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:20:22 +0100, Chris Street

How do you get over the small matter of the boiling point of n-butane being just below 0C ? (Iso-butane boils about 10C lower.)
A puddle of it might sit for some time at STP, but ultimately it will end up as a gas.
--
Say something cutting and back it up with big people.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:20:22 +0100, Chris Street

That's 0 degrees C isn't it? What's butane's boiling point? It evaporates very fast at room temperature, as you discover when you unscrew an unresealable cartridge from your camping stove!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

No it isn't
Bob Mannix
Bob Mannix wrote:

Boils at 273K if I've read my book correctly.
Chris Bacon wrote:

272.7K
--
Grunff

I think you will find it is 272.5 but, even if it was 273 it would be naturally gaseous at that temperature.
Bob Mannix wrote:

I know. I am not quibbling about the temperature it boils at, whether it be 273K, 272.5K, or 272.76419462549402K - just agreeing that at STP butane is gas.

Ah. Difficult to distinguish from what you wrote!
As to the original point, were one in temperatures below freezing, I imagine (though I have never tried it) butane would make a good solvent. Not immensely practical though!
Perhaps one could keep a jamjar of liquid butane in the freezer (how to get it in there??) and dunk things in it (after freezing them first, of course) to degrease them. DONT TRY THIS AT HOME
Bob Mannix
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:43:12 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

0.5C is the boling point at standard pressure according to my reference.