Friggin cold phone callers

Just had a call from 06041623 - My name is garble (female) phoning on behalf of garble garble. Is your name ... ... of this address .... ..... Me: It might be Her: Can I ask a few questions? Me: go on then Her: Calls may be recorded for training etc etc How do you pronounce your christian name? Me: Hang on a sec, what are you selling, where are you going with this? Her: You fuckin' bastard. Me: LMFAO and thanked her very much.
Half an hour earlier we had some hawker at the door, wifey answered it and was chatting for quite a while. She came in and said this guy is selling all sorts of stuff like this chamois leather for 15, he says he's been a bad boy but is trying to change his life etc etc, yes, I know, hook line and sinker. So I kindly asked him to sling his hook. Geeeeeeeeez.
> >Half an hour earlier we had some hawker at the door, wifey answered it and >was chatting for quite a while. She came in and said this guy is selling all >sorts of stuff like this chamois leather for £15, he says he's been a bad >boy but is trying to change his life etc etc, yes, I know, hook line and >sinker. So I kindly asked him to sling his hook. >Geeeeeeeeez. >
Might I suggest you try the following with grateful thanks to "Paul C Dickie" ...
"Come the next election, I'm going to hang some garlic in the porch lest Gordon mac Shite-Features tries canvassing despite the sign which reads:
"The following are NOT welcome: Hawkers, salesmen, peddlers, box- wallahs, vagrants, mendicants, proselytisers for religion or politics, canvassers of any description whatsoever, putative fishmongers, antique dealers 'on the knock', vendors of animal droppings or folk who are 'just doing some work up the road'. If you fit into one or more of those categories, just bugger off." "
DerekG
(snip)

We get them every 6-8 weeks or so. Ex-offenders trying to sell stuff from large hold-alls. Part of a scheme called 'new start' or something similar.
I cannot see how getting no sale at every door can help them. The constant rejection is not conducive to re-integrating them, is it ?
Some turn quite nasty when told 'no thanks'. It does not help that I am a poor communicator. So now I will not answer the door.
David
The problem with this type of door caller is that there are in fact some genuine ones, but they are getting few and far between due to all the dodgy ones clouding peoples minds. Such is life.
Brian
On 06/03/2013 13:05, DerekG wrote:

best I had was ... "would you loike a little bit of der back stuff put down n ter drive?" > No Thnx
Would you like to have your hedges cut > no Thnx
Would you have any antiques you want to sell? >No Thnx... at which point Pikey Tarmaccadm technician walked across drive to look into garden, my dogs in outside run launched themselves at the run fence ...
"Jeeesuz Mary Muvver of God .... Oi nearly shat myself, R dey dangerous animals, are dey safe ?
> Nope .. and they get very agitated with strangers if we are not around .... (not seen him again)
I've had a recent spate of two distinct kinds of cold calls:
"Just a quick two minute survey" calls from a source which my phone's display can only identify as "International - Out Of Area. These are real people, possibly in India, and they ask for me by name. I've tried various techniques to stop them, including telling the caller that "Mr Coules died last week" and on one occasion actually going through the entire survey (which took a deal longer than two minutes) giving false but plausible answers to every question. The calls still continue.
Automated calls. On answering there's a fractional pause then a recorded voice.
If there's an answering machine switched on at the time of the call, both real people and machines just hang up without saying a word.
All this despite my being registered with the TPS.
Bert
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 16:33 Bert Coules wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Have you tried:
"What colour knickers are you wearing" (to either sex of caller).

Tim Watts wrote:

I couldn't be that vulgar. But in any case, the problem is not terminating any particular call but preventing further ones: and since no two callers ever seem to be the same, insulting or offending an individual would presumably have little or no effect.
Bert

The recorded ones I get often have an option to press 5 if interested or 9 if not. Job to say if it works though. Also TPS:-(
--
Tim Lamb

Bert Coules wrote:

Practice makes perfect.

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:14:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

That's one I've been using for years. But sometimes, if they are male, I ask them the colour of their boyfriend's knickers.
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 18:40 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

LMAO :)

On 06/03/2013 16:33, Bert Coules wrote:

IIRC the TPS is voluntary and only applies to UK calls.

The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contactfaq.php
"The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS. The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. It is unlawful to make direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls. "
"Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of UK based companies, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but, many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. If you have received a live unsolicited direct marketing call from overseas from a company that you can identify and whom you think may be a UK company please log a complaint with TPS using the online complaints form. If is deemed by TPS that the unsolicited direct marketing call that you received from overseas was from or made on behalf of a company with presence in the UK we will investigate, and raise a complaint in the UK against the offending company where it is possible to do so. "
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Which is why many of the cold calls I get (despite the TPS) claim to be "a survey" or "reminding me I still haven't claimed..." etc. etc.
i.e. enough wriggle-room (in their view) to evade legislation.
I also still get cold calls from a newspaper to which I once subscribed. They will no doubt claim that I am "a customer" and thus this is not a cold call - despite the fact I cancelled that subscription over 5 years ago.
--
Sam

On 06/03/2013 19:30, Sam Plusnet wrote:

They would be correct in their claim. However, I am pretty sure that if you request to be removed from their database and after allowing a reasonable period (I think 3 weeks has been mentioned), any further calls are just as illegal as if you had never been a customer.
SteveW
says...

It does not matter what they "pretend" the call is about. If the ultimate aim is to sell something then it's banned

No it doesn't. They may think that it does, but it doesn't

TPS registration also applies to "companies that you have a relationship with" if the aim is to sell you something new.
Obviously it doesn't stop them from calling you about an administrative matter
says...

Possibly, but since their livelihood depends upon it, I suspect that they've spent more time thinking about this topic than you or I.
It might be interesting to determine how a judge would view matters - but not interesting enough for me to attack this.
--
Sam

says...

Certainly,

Those who wrote the law certainly did.

I doubt it.

On 08/03/2013 22:41, Rod Speed wrote:

Our laws all seem to be written to be open to interpretation. This keeps the legal profession rolling in money. Funnily enough the goverment and opposition have a lot of legal people in them. Coincidence? I think not!
I write Engineering documents and spend a lot of time and effort eliminating ambiguity and possible misinterpretation. I want my documents to inform a supplier clearly what is wanted, without any doubt or loopholes. The massed intelligences of government are surely able to achieve the same end when preparing legislation, unless they choose not to.
SteveW