French doors locked - how to open without damage?

True enough, but MY French doors open outwards, which narrows the accessible gap inside

And on the door that had its lock sawn through, it didn't open at all. it was a normal locked door

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More expensive than 3 lever yes, but not the most expensive nor the most secure around. Banham, for example, do a 7 level mortice lock for around £170. The lock that came with the steel security door for my brick shed has eight pins, which work on the flat side of the key.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Although a five lever lock may have two hardened steel rollers inserted into the tongue, to resist attempts at cutting. If there are other similar locks in the house, it might be worth checking those for rollers first. They are visible on the end of the tongue, as in the picture on this page:

Colin Bignell

Mine did. They may have resisted the cutting but they didn't prevent it. It did take about half an hour to do it though.

Probably beyond what any thief would care to spend

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would of the opinion that the vendor or letting agent is responsible for the cost of a locksmith and any repairs or replacements, so don't inflict any damage yourself.

Reply to
Andrew

If it is a decent lock then there will be hardened steel rollers inside the bit that actually does the locking to make cutting slow or impossible depending on the quality of the lock.

Reply to
Andrew

you are telling the thief you have something worth pinching.

Reply to
Ponyface

Apparently it was because they were first used in France during the Renaissance period.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

My insurance company insists on a minimum of 5 lever locks

Reply to
charles

How would they know? It doesn't look any different from any standard external door.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Because the frogs had a lot more of them.

Same with french letters, they f*ck a lot more than you poms do.

Not quite so clear with french frys, tho likely because they prefer that thinner style of chips.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Originated in Belgium, but WW1 American soldiers thought the Belgian soldiers who taught them were French. That is according to the Frietmuseum in Bruges.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

If it's rented then I agree the landlord should sort it out - though that does not mean the tenant can just incur costs and demand the landlord meet them.

If it was bought then the first thing to do is look at the property information form. For all we know the vendor's answer to "keys to all windows and doors and details of alarm codes will be left at the property or with the estate agent" was "No". In any event, it's rarely worth pursuing a vendor for a few hundred. And worth bearing in mind also the benefits of new locks if contents insurance only pays out for forced entry.

Reply to
Robin

But tapping on it will soon tell you that it is more solid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Colin Bignell snipped-for-privacy@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote

No

Who clearly got it wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think it more likely they would find when trying to kick in the bottom panel.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I prefer their version as it makes nonsense of the Americans renaming them freedom fires.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Doesn't matter what you prefer, the evidence is those early french recipes.

Which was 3-4 centurys later and so completely irrelevant to who invented them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Because people don't realise they're actually French windows?

Reply to
Rob Morley

You are very common.

Bill