French doors locked - how to open without damage?

Son has a new flat with a pair of wooden external french doors locked with a 5 lever mortice lock. There is no key and the doors will not open even when top/bottom latches are open; without, I suspect, causing a bit of damage to the door and the use of force. Options: pop the hinges off one door (if that's even possible), or angle grinder on the mortice lock, or...?

Reply to
Grumps

On these "don't pay we'll take it away" programmes locksmiths seem to make a good job of unlocking doors without a key.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Is there enough of the pin end of the hinges sticking out to be able to cut it off with an angle grinder? That should enable a door to be removed, provided there are no additional security devices.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That would be my choice. I've had to call in a locksmith on a couple of occasions and it is bit worrying just how easily they opened a locked door. Also, if the doors get damaged the locksmith should be insured.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell snipped-for-privacy@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote

Have you ever asked them 'how do I avoid it being so easy to open by someone who knows what they are doing' ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Call a locksmith.

Reply to
Brian

The answer would probably be to buy much more expensive locks. I have high security locks on my house, but the call outs were elsewhere. One was for a five pin Yale night latch and the other a jammed Euro cylinder lock that he drilled out.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

JOOI did the previous owner offer any explanation for the lack of key?

Reply to
Robin

If some wants to get in expensive locks will not stop them. The thief isn't too worried about leaving your property in good condition when he kicks in or uses a wrecking bar on your door or smashes a window. Just look at the replacement (blanking) panels for for double glazed plastic back doors. Foam sandwiched between two thin (<1mm) plastic sheets.

You can get reinforced panels with an additional MDF layer

Reply to
alan_m

Any other mortice locks in the flat - perhaps a common key.

Reply to
alan_m

There are several locks that look the same brand/model. Each has a separate key.

Reply to
Grumps

He's only just moved in. Waiting for an estate agent response now.

Reply to
Grumps

Security is not really about stopping a determined thief from getting in. The Hatton Garden robbery shows that a concrete vault won't do that. An important part of security is making your house a less attractive prospect than any of your neighbours. Provided the security is not too OTT, which could suggest that there are valuables in the house, a good lock will imply other security measures and is likely to get them to move on to an easier target.

My back door is 44mm timber, with a 15mm ply lower panel (replacing the original 9mm) and a laminated glass upper panel. It has rack mortice bolts top and bottom and dog bolts on the hinge side.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I sorted this when the ex lost the keys to one door - or rather some decent builders and carpenters sorted it - by sawing through the tenon from the inside, where the woodwork was protected by the striker plate, using IIRC a reciprocating hacksaw.

Angle grinder is too wide a kerf - causes damage to the door.

In essence, without the key, you are going to replace the lock anyway, unless you know a locksmith who can pick the lock, so no issues with wrecking the lock, but try to avoid wrecking the woodwork

A cheapo one to do that job in an hour or so is under 40 quid at screwfix. A new lock is similar in price

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its all a matter of cost. I think a cheap reciprocating saw costs less than a locksmith, and you end up with another DIY tool .

Unless the locksmith can also supply you with a set of keys to open it, and save the cost of a new lock, it's probably less cost effective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

5 lever mortice locks ARE the more expensive lock
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

get a discount for the fact they lost the key. Seriously though, should it not be possible to get a new key made if you can tell who made the lock. Locksmiths seem quite often to be able to get doors open without an angle grinder!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So why are french doors so called? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because just like with French letters and French kissing, they open wide to let you in.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Possibly not if you have access inside and you can open the door a little bit to give more clearance. Maybe wet the area down so the sparks generated while grinding don't burn the surface of the wood.

Reply to
alan_m