French Doors

Hi I am thinking of removing a window in my lounge and replacing it with French doors opening on to my back garden patio. Do I need permission from the council to do this? I am in Scotland if that makes any difference. Also all of my windows are wood framed double glazing but I was thinking of getting wood effect PVC to avoid maintenance. I use Ronseal on the window frames and soffit boards etc every couple of years. So would I be just as well getting wooden doors and frames?

I was thinking of getting Weatherseal to give me a quote then telling them to **** off and waiting for them to hassle me and getting the price down. I will also get a couple of local companies to quote and play them off against each other to get the price down.

In case you are wondering about Weatherseal I once worked for them in the distant past when I was made redundant and know all their tricks etc. I only ever sold one window in 4 weeks as I was not very good but I know how they work and they will even fit the doors at cost just to get a sale and their sign stuck in your garden for a couple of months. That I can live with.

I would imagine, from what I can remember, I could get them down to £600 but then I have no idea what other companies would charge. Someone told me they got quoted £1000 for similar French doors.

I am sure I have a scanned copy of their price list somewhere but I will have to search through a load of backup cds.

The window is 4 feet wide and the wall is the usual cavity brick and breeze block and plaster the house constructed in 1991.

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron

i have a local joiner knocking me up a pair of french doors to replace a 4 foot window as we speak. he is charging £350. for hardwood. a proper job. i will prime, undercoat, top coat and fit it myself. then i have to buy and fit the glass. price is probably on a par with Upvc. if you had some one do it all for you.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

They're French Windows, unless they're ordinary doors imported from France. Paired glazed opening "French windows", often wrongly called doors.

Probably, but if no pen-pushers know that there are none at the moment, I wouldn't bother.

It's likely to be cooler, in general.

Timber doors are more secure, and look nicer IMO. You should have rack bolts and hinge bolts fitted.

Seems OK.

Um, is that a 4' opening? You'll probably want a frame which you can make of PAR softwood, nail on door stops, finish inside with one or two rows of architrave, 3 prs. hinges, 2prs. hinge bolts, 2 prs. rack bolts, 1 pr. 40" French Windows (Jewson or someone), 1 sash deadlock + rebate kit, 2 prs. handles of some sort, 2 cabin hooks.

Reply to
Chris Bacon