freezing silicone sealant

I bung all the spares (when you use more than one tube on a job, transfer the nozzle from tube to tube and keep the nozzles you don't use) in a bag, which is hanging up in the workshop. One problem I have noticed (other than the carrier bag disintegrating!) is that the threads of different brands are not necessarily compatible.

Reply to
Huge

Keep an eye out in Aldi/Lidl/Poundshop you can get a 10 pack for £1...

BTW I like the ides of stuffing a large bolt into the nozzle. I usually do foil wrap over the official lid but it doesn't really work.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Even if you don't do that, silicone is the one sort of cartridge sealant which normally pushes or pulls out very easily. You sometimes need a combination of both.

Reply to
newshound

Place I work mix up their own sealants and glues (with different inert fillers and very fancy micro spheres ). These are then stored in

-60C freezers until needed (months) and then in -40C freezers on the shop floor until used (days to weeks). Freezing at -18C/-20C may not be cold enough to preserve the material for any significant length of time beyond when they would cease to be useful. Note.... not necessarily the expiry date printed on the container!

5um in size to control spacings :-)
Reply to
Kellerman

Every 10C drop roughly doubles shelf life.

The volatile component is acetic acid, an entirely edible acid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr