Silicone Sealant??

Hi,

I just replaced the silicone sealant along the front of a relatively new shower (6 months old). The reason for this was that the plumber got a big lump of dirt off his boots into it when it was wet.

I managed to cut the old out with a very sharp craft knife, this still however left a very thin film of the old stuff on the shower tray and door. I masked it off and applied the new stuff about 1mm wider than the old.

Is this going to be OK, I've started to worry that it may not adhere properly to the old silicone??

Any comments welcome.....

Pete

Reply to
PeteD

Should be fine but there will be only one way you will find out.

There is a gel you can apply that dissolves all the old silicon but as you've already done the job then just see how it goes.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

It's a possibility; depends how mucky the old stuff was - if it's clean (which it ought to be if you've cut away the grubby surface layer) you'll probably get away with it. The kosher way to do it would have been to clean away the residual silicone with a special solvent; readily available these days under names like 'Silicone eater' (eg at Screwfix).

David

Reply to
Lobster

The new silicone will crosslink into the freshly cut surface successfully, giving a bond very nearly, if not as strong, as the cohesive strenght of the silicone.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

-- Nick H