Silicone Remover

As mentioned is separate post had some silicone 'de-adhere' on a shower base to wall seal.

Going to have to re-seal.

Never used this silicone remover ... does it work as a wipe-on/wipe-off type of thing ... or do you leave it in place to dissolve all ?

The gap between shower tray & wall is filled with silicone 'vee' shaped as edge of tray slightly sloped. i.e tight to wall at bottom, about 8-10mm gap at top.

If I used this 'Silicone remover' do you have to remove all traces of silicone, not the whole run which is around 4.2m or so as you go round all 4 sides. Only one side is affected ... but unsure if using this 'Silicone remover' will damage anything that is left.

Sort of hoping I could cut out the damaged section and just clean where it was with silicon remover - hence asking advice.

Could not use it ... cut out damaged section, clean all with alcohol and replace damage section then run a new bead 'all-round on top of good sealant as well .. to give wider bead.

Reply to
rick

Removers I've used are 'slap on thickly and leave for a while' BUT they only seem effective on last traces of silicone after bulk has been removed mechanically....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

OK ta

Reply to
rick

Have you ever had one damage the substrate (eg worktop or plastic trim)?

I've got some but I've not dared use it yet...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And does it stop the next application sticking?

Reply to
F Murtz

The Medway Handyman

seems FAQ follows way I have done things in past, cut, scrape, clean ..

OK ... I'll forget using 'silicone eater' :-)

Reply to
rick

Just done similar job with Lidl version of this

Great, no fear of scratching plastic shower tray, works a lot better than would expect plastic blade to work.

Lidl Fugenboy type tool makes smoothing a complete dawdle.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

/Just done similar job with Lidl version of this

Great, no fear of scratching plastic shower tray, works a lot better than would expect plastic blade to work./q

Agreed though metal versions last longer.

/Lidl Fugenboy type tool makes smoothing a complete dawdle./q

Agreed.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I've found out (accidentally, and unwantedly) that cellulose thinners softens silicone rubber, and allows you to peel it off (even if that's not what you really wanted to do!).

Reply to
Ian Jackson