FreeView

Very true. I've been enjoying Paul Merton's silent comedy series on BBC4 for the last four weeks.

Not too sure about all the other old tosh though. Been there and seen it.

Reply to
RedOnRed

The beauty of those old shows is they're too old to remember the stories - unlike more recent repeats.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, maybe. All the best ones have been repeated to death on normal TV like Only Fools & Horses, Porridge, Dads Army, The Good Life, Fawlty Towers, etc, etc. So you're then left with the TV dregs.

Funnily enough, the best British TV series i've seen this year was Life On Mars which was like a bit of a nostalgic romp through TV Gold but with modern day irony.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Do they enforce the aerial ban? On driving through I never seem to see any. This gives the city a real clean uncluttered look.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No they don't enforce it.

There's a lot of stuff from MK's original sort of constitution which has gradually been ignored.

Times have changed and the MK hippy futuristic vision wasn't that practical.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Irritated the hell out of me. I lived through that period and was in Manchester at the time. Life on Mars was simply wrong in just about every aspect, which is I guess what happens when a bunch of kids make a series about something they didn't experience.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Things like the Professionals, Minder, Sweeny and Avengers haven't been seen for ages. They're probably considered too old for mainstream stuff unlike sit-coms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's called fiction, Steve.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I lived through it and still enjoyed the series.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Well said Dave.

Reply to
RedOnRed

No excuse for a f*ck up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It would be quite nice to see some of the early Minder episodes, before it got too PC and they tried to take the violence out of it. That always seemed to defeat the whole precept of the show...

Reply to
John Rumm

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

The Avengers has fairly recently been seen again on BBC 4. (Might still be on - haven't checked the schedules.) Still waiting for The House That Jack Built, an excellent episode - and, luckily, brings us almost back on topic.

Reply to
Rod

Indeed - I was referring to it as a reason to have the minority channels on FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)