FreeView

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I'm not as interested in argueing with him, I thought he might he "coming round", but sadly - no, so that's that. Perhaps you should kill file the people who *do* regularly argue with him.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You should have mentioned that the signal to noise ratio is very much better for Freeview; in fact the extra from Sky is all noise (to a reasonable approximation).

Reply to
John Cartmell

Hey, my dish comes in a Burberry check...very sophisticated!

Reply to
RedOnRed

This is a DIY newsgroup. Which postings aren't banal or disinformed?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Thank you. Just as I requested from you. Snotty uni people should not read wisdom - it confused them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think he should also killfile himself.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "RedOnRed" contains these words:

Somehow, only that bit appeared visible for a moment or two. I wondered who "Old and Cantakerous" was.

Reply to
Guy King

This man obviously wants people to pay a scumbag £500 a year for nothing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

These are more suitable for you.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Not all of us buy our TV viewing by the hundreweight! If the actual choice of channels matters to you, you may as well choose the collection of channels you prefer because they are not the same.

If you have the kit, then yes that may be true assuming the channels you can't get are of no interest to you.

Or they fall into the catagory of they want to carry on receiving *any* TV at all once the analogue service in turned off in two to six years time.

(or are prohibited from fitting a dish to their property, or can not get clear line of site to the sat etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Talk about muppet web authoring.... over a MB of graphics in the thumbnails at the top of the page alone!

Reply to
John Rumm

Some like me might prefer to see the dirty digger rot in hell before giving him one penny...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MK have banned aerials but allow dishes? Another reason to avoid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MK banned rooftop aerials when MK first started. In those days the only satellite dishes in use were either typically military or aerospace. I don't think they ever predicted them being on peoples houses some 30 years later.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Sorry John, i've lost your point. I'm saying you're better off using a satellite setup for free channels and are you saying you're better off using a Freeview setup for a lot less channels, a couple of which are only available Freeview and are nothing to right home about?

Fair comment for those in unique positions.

Reply to
RedOnRed

No, I am saying that if you are starting from square one (i.e. no equipment) then buy whichever setup gives you the channels actually you want to watch. The fact that sky offers more channels is neither here nor there since most of them are shopping channels - so the total number of channels does not equate to "better value"

Looking at the selections available on the two platforms, I personally would go for the freeview selection, since there are a few channels it has (exclusively on a FTA platform) that are worth watching.

Well the bit about analogue switch off applies to everybody!

Reply to
John Rumm

Too bleeding right mate. The Gov should make Murdoch charge a small fee per channel and let you choose what you want. The FCC did in the USA, but of course Tony and his cronies just cuddle upto him.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Don't be too sure about that. Earlier this year, or later last year, there was an excellent serial called 'Fun Land' on BBC 3 starring Sarah Smart. It has been partially repeated on BBC 2 (the world cup has intervened). Now this was a very funny, dark humoured, sexy and dramatic look at the Blackpool entertainment industry.

There is a lot of good quality entertainment on free view, if you are very discernible. Men and motors gave you The Sweeny (sadly removed from free view, but I believe that it is still available on the satellite free channels) and other channels gave such great progs, such as The Avengers. Proper old fashioned TV :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

RAOTFLMAO