FreeView

Many are the same granted, but there are many exceptions:

Freeview has More4, E4, FilmFour (coming soon), abc1, TMF, FTN, The Hits

There are plenty on freesat (mostly shopping and quiz channels) that are not on freview, most useful is perhaps CNN

Reply to
John Rumm

The short answer is no. Two reasons, freeview is not supplied down cable, and cable uses a different broadcast standard.

This is not to say you won't get some of the same channels delivered by a variety of different digital services including cable, terrestrial, and sat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which bit's "twaddle"?

I stopped subscribing to Sky for a while and got all the Freeview channels plus more through my satellite and decoder setup.

Reply to
RedOnRed

The bit about getting *all* of the freeview channels. You gat many of them, but there are a number which are only included in one of the paid for sky bundles and not their freesat package.

Also worth noting IIUC is that you dont't get access to the sky EPG without a subscription, and you can't have the Sky+ (i.e. PVR) functionality either.

"For a while" meaning you now subscribe again? Or you stopped subscribing a while ago?

If you *are* getting all the freeview channels including More4, E4, abc1 etc then you had better not tell em in case they take tham away again! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh well, stay on your own, then. Get a 42" plasma screen so that you can watch soaps on it in solitary splendour (thank goodness).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Flags. See how the Hawaian flag has the UK flag in the corner.

Doctor Drivel

In this instance...

:-:

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Can you write to this news group in English grammar please?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Flags. The American Confederate Stainless Banner. Lowered for the last time on 6th November 1865 at Liverpool, England, when CSS Shenandoah surrendered to HMS Donegal. Note the insert stars and bars and white background.

Flags.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's all a long time ago now, but I seem to recall getting all of the Freeview channels for nothing when I stopped subscribing to Sky.

Looking at the Freeview list i'm sure that would be the case. Sky supply all those channels and you don't have to subscribe to them...so it would make sense really and would you pay for any of them?

Do you have any experience of what I did or are you just basing it on theory?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Its a pint..if I kill filed you as well you would have total privacy..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

uk.tech.digital-tv would likely be an appropriate ng.

AIUI for cable you need to use an STB that matches whatever technology a particular cable supplier is using. A Freeview STB or integrated Freeview receiver will not work with cable.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes. Just cut the cable with a hacksaw and fix it in the aerial socket with plenty of PTFE tape.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Would I pay for any of them? Hmm tough call, if the answer was yes it would be closely followed by "not much"! ;-) Film4 is probably worth having, more4 and e4 can be OK. abc1 is not too bad. FTN is a waste of space. The music channels are OK if you like that sort of thing, but I expect you could substitute any other music channels and not notice much difference. The best one is probably UK TV History which is also subscription only on sky.

I am going by the list of channels that sky say are included in the free sat package here:

by what users of the freesat package over on uk.tech.digital-tv have to say about it.

Reply to
John Rumm

But make sure you use compression fittings and not speedfit! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Notice how there red at the top and bottom of this flag.

Flags:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well i've just totted up how many free channels you can get from Freeview and through Sky...

Freeview - 41 Sky - 169 approx

Baring in mind we're generally not talking quality TV and the emphasis is more on quantity of channels and you'll have to pay to setup both, so the Sky package looks a far better deal, especially if you're already a Sky subscriber and already have the kit and cancel your subscription.

Personally, I think people that go to the expense and effort of paying to have an aerial put on their roofs just to get crappy Freeview channels might as well put a banner up there while they're at it saying "We're Too Tight Fisted Old and Cantankerous To Pay For Sky".

Reply to
RedOnRed

Or we don't want a horrible chavvy dish on the wall, making us look like benefit scum.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What I am saying is that Drivel is kill filed..if I and all the others who have done likewise, kill filed you as well, than our desktops would be free on banal comments and crap disinformation, and you two could argue in private.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher