For the Old Computer types in here

Nobody ever mentions one of the last computer makers in UK CTL/ITL

Reply to
Martin

I remember them. A friend of mine used to work for them. Must add the Modular One to a list of machines I've used.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Elliott 4130, which I started using in 1970, was very clean and simple.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This is part of what I did:

Bob Eager

I'd read it, Bob

Reply to
Martin

+1
Reply to
Martin

In article , Tim Streater writes

EELM had become English Electric Computers before the merger.

Reply to
bert

In article , Martin writes

Not quite. It was recognising the reality of the scale of the competition. IBM UK had a bigger turnover than ICL yet ICL managed to produce an operating system which BP rated better than IBMs - but they bought IBM anyway. ICTs 1900 series whilst a good system was a dead end. The individual companies stood no chance of surviving on their own. But like IBM they filed to recognise the threat/opportunities from the PC and the minis which followed.

Reply to
bert

They were International Computers Limited, quite a prestigious institution in the 60's and 70's, working all over the world. I went seeking a job with them for an interview in their London head office in around 1969, referred there by their Leeds office.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Only parts of them - both Elliott Automation and English Electric continued existing afterwards. I described the technology split between ICT and Elliott Automation elsewhere in the thread (data processing computing to ICT, and process control and military computing to Elliott Automation which changed names a couple more times to GEC Computers and some bits to other GEC companies such as EASAMS).

English Electric got all the non-computing bits of the merging businesses, but almost immediately afterwards became part of GEC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 1900 series was basically a Ferranti Argus 500 implemented in a different physical form - the instruction set and word format were identical

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The 4130 was a joint development with NCR. They both sold them under their own names, but in different market sectors.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, now Fujitsu Services. Now do services for many platforms: ICL, IBM, BS2000, x86 etc.

ICL "mainframes" are now x86 based.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul