Webbing belts for trousers (OT)

I have a few pairs of outdoor trousers (Craghoppers, etc) which have come with a webbing belt. Ideal when travelling by air as there are no metal parts. However, I can't for the life of me work out how the assemble the adjustable end onto the webing so that the belt doesn't just uselessly slip. Am I missing something?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Usually the buckle folds the webbing back against itself and the friction between the surfaces aided by the tension from the waist creates the grip.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

DerbyBorn wrote

Mine do, both a buckle and mostly a metal thing on the free end too.

With mine the metal buckle grips the free end as it goes thru the buckle and is closed.

The buckle has a full metal plate rather than the sort of thing a leather belt buckle has.

Presumably the buckle but its odd that more than one has no buckle so maybe you are talking about a different belt than I think you are.

Try a photo.

Reply to
john james

You might have the belt (or the buckles at least) inside-out. When threaded one way, the belt will slip through the buckles, threaded the other way, you should find that it grips.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA486814291A54TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

What look like teeth are not teeth!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If they're like the ones on my hiking trousers, there are four possible ways to thread it, and only one will work.

There are presumably two slots. Thread the loose end through the further slot first. Make sure that when you thread it through the nearer slot, it bends back at an acute angle. If it's an obtuse angle, you have the buckle back-to-front, so unthread and start again.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That is a view from the side that should be closest to the wearer's body. Pass the belt over the serrated bar and thread the end though the slot beyond it. Fold the belt end back on the other side of the serrated bar and pass through the slot between that and the bar at the end of the body. Now pass the end of the belt between the end bar and the main part of the belt. Tension on the belt will cause the end bar to press the end of the belt against the main part of the belt and hold it there by friction.

Reply to
Nightjar

Just found this video, which is far clearer than my instructions:

Nightjar

Yes, the Craghopper design is stupid. ;-)

I've just dug one of their belts out of my drawers and the only way to stop it slipping is to assemble it "wrong", with male part of the buckle curving away from you rather than matching the curve of the female part.

This distinctly different from my other webbing belts where the two haves both curve circumferentially.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nightjar wrote in news:Ur2dnbfyVam snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks Nightjar.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA486BA02A2CE7TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

I had been overcomplicating it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Can't say I have ever had one with a buckle like that.

Mine all have metal buckles with a large rectangular metal flap hinged at one end that you close on the free end and which grips it.

Reply to
john james