Folding shower screen or curtain and pole?

Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it. But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly. any ideas?

Reply to
SilverDales

I installed a new bathroom some seven years ago and made the decision to fit a 'four-fold' folding screen. It works very efficiently, and folds neatly back against the wall when not in use. Shower curtains are a pain in the neck - the down-draft created by the shower spray causes the curtains to suck in and stick to your body - and they hold the damp after the shower. They become mildewed after a while and just look awful. Go for a screen!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I've fitted folding screens; they are the way to go - far more effective than mildew-ridden curtains.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In a very similar situation, we chose a Z-fold screen with four aluminium framed glass panels. It folds down into a fairly slim stack, which then swings back to the wall giving full access to the bath taps and shower unit.

We've been well pleased with it for the past 15 years or so, but that is too long ago to be able to tell you the specific make or model. The important things are that it's solidly made and solidly mounted to the wall, and that it's lined up correctly in relation to the edge of the bath.

We are just about to decide on a shower screen for new bath in a different house, a Z-fold screen is still the front runner. Since it won't need to fold right back to the wall this time, we might go for one that has the first panel rigidly mounted to the wall, plus two or three more fold-out panels.

Reply to
Ian White

If you do go for curtains as I have, using a "standard" curtain rail which can be bent/curved to suit(suite?) the shower enclosure, then make sure the curtains have weights at the bottom so they have less tendency to cling to you and also do not shower using soap - use only detergent based shower liquids/gels - so you get much less if no mould or soap gunge on your curtains and shower walls - also none of that black mould in the drain. Using detergents only makes it easier to clan and requires less frequnt cleaning. Anyway the curtains can easily cleaned in the washing machine as necessary.

Keith G. Powell

Reply to
Keith G. Powell

All of which IMHO sound very good reasons not to choose a curtain! :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ok thanks for all your replies guys, we have gone for the 4 fold screen in silver. Once again thanks.

Reply to
SilverDales

Possibly?

But I don't get cold floppy curtain wrapping about my legs and it was considerably cheaper and easier to fit than screens.

The use of detergent is also apllicable to a screens based system.

But yes, go for a screen if you can afford it and fit it. But still use detregents :-)

Keith G. Powell

Reply to
Keith G. Powell

I installed a 4-panel folding screen about 4 years ago and it works fine. No leaks anywhere. It wasn't cheap and the glass needs a bit of work to keep clean but I've been happy with it.

The only thing is I wish I'd gone for the bigger version as I still get some water over-shooting and hitting the floor.

Reply to
Stephen

Folding screens have a downside as well. We get leaks under the screen and water pours onto the floor. I put this down to the fact that the base of the screen is straight and the bath is slightely curved.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

I went for one of these as I came across a half-price offer and it's great. Seals brilliantly against the wall where curtains tend to leak and gives easy access to bath. I have had swinging panel bath screens in the past and sooner or later they all start to leak.

jhiker

You need to position the screen carefully and make sure that the inner side of the screen overhangs the inside of the bath - so that water runs straight off the screens and into the bath - rather than down the screens and under and over the outside edge of the bath! My four-fold screen is never straight when it's in use. The first screen out from the wall is angled in to meet the inside edge of the bath.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Positioning relative to the highest point on the edge of the bath is

*very* important, and will obviously be more critical with a roll-edge bath.

Ours is never quite straight either, but it sits right on or just inside of the highest point, and doesn't overhang the inside edge at all.

When I buy the next one for this new house, I'll make sure it is fully adjustable both horizontally and vertically (or that it can be DIYed to make it adjustable).

Reply to
Ian White

Hi I have been positioning the screen so the rubber seal at the bottom is just on the inside edge of the bath thus aiding water run off onto the bath and not onto the lip where it might sneak under through any gaps.

Reply to
SilverDales

I think mine has a different construction from yours. It has a straight bar which hinges down to lay on the bath edge. Then you open out the screen which fits into the top edge of the bar.

The bar has a L section at the top and a rubber seal on the bottom. Therefore the screen has to run straight along the bath.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark