Attaching a folding shower screen to a wall.

I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted one of these things? Anyone actually had one come off a wall?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

The big risk is if someone slips in the shower and grabs the screen.

With half-inch plaster depth you are only going to have half an inch of screw in the wall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quite. I'm imagining all kinds of things happening. At the moment, I'm considering attaching some rectangular aluminium section to the wall, and having it go through the ceiling, and fixed to one of the joists in the loft. And bolt it to that. I can't imagine I'd be really confident with anything less.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Certainly no good for fitting into plasterboard. But, if you have a stud in the right place, much longer screws going into that should be OK. Three doesn't really sound enough to me, though. If you have a block or brick wall then long enough screws with good fixings should be fine. If the wall is "dodgy" you could consider studs fitted into injected plastic filler.

The aluminium section idea should work, although it is a bit more cost and effort. I assume you have good access from above? You would still need to attach the aluminium section to the wall at the bottom.

Reply to
newshound

It's a block wall, in good condition. I guess much of the problem is that I'm not too happy about my own drilling-hole-in-block-wall skills. Quite often I hit something hard (like little stones in the blocks), or hit the edge of a block and go into the mortar, and end up with an oval hole that doesn't hold the plug as much as I'd like. It's not always too much of a problem, but with something this heavy, that sticks out so much, and in the location that it is, everything is going to have to be perfect.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Is this one that sits on the edge of the bath & has an aluminum channel fixed to the wall ?

If so, no great problem as the bath takes most of the weight.

Buy a new bottom seal now, while you can remember who the supplier is, they don't last very long.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Something like that, yes, but I wasn't aware that the bath was supposed to take any of the weight. I'd have thought that would crush the seal.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote in news:8q6dnYAILKw- snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

I think the OP is right to be concerned - it is a turning moment that is applying a lot of force to the top screw - the screen is basically trying to pivot on the bath top. People will at some time make a grab for it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It has to compress the seal or it will leak.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman