Flipping over turf

I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative approach and I would welcome your views.
My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.
One reason for doing this is to save carrying lots of turf and hiring a skip. I also want to raise the overall level of the lawn.
Is this plan feasible or just potty?
On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:

Why not just put the topsoil on the turf?
On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:

I expect the old grass will grow through.
--
Max Demian

Well since he wants grass there again, why is this a problem?
--
Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence.

No point in the massive effort of turning the turf over.

Agreed. Or removing it. I assume he has poor quality sparse grass and wants to plant fresh seed in some new compost on top, while also making it higher. If some of the old grass grows through, who cares?
--
When shagging a goat you are best taking it to the edge of a cliff because they push back harder. -- Billy Connelly

Yes, but needs to determine why its like that. If its heavy clay and with fuck all drainage or those grubs in the soil munching on the roots, what you need to do is quite different.

If that's what he wants to do, makes a lot more sense to just rotary hoe the area and seed that. But only if the soil is suitable and doesn't have those grubs.

Its unlikely he cares about jus which grass it is or he would have said that.
On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:

This will give you a soft and uneven surface as the grass decomposes. It's far better to cut it off and use new top soil to build up the height you want before sowing the seed. As they say: BTDTGTTS. If I was doing the job again I would use turf rather than seed - you don't need to fend off birds and I suspect it would give a more even result.
On Monday, 17 April 2017 19:48:28 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

If I give the grass a really close cut then scarrify deeply, might this reduce the amount of softness and uneveness? Also maybe if I rolled it heavily several times and tramped it in?? I do really want to build up the level of the lawn so am reluctant to remove any soil if possible.
Turf is costly hence the preference for seeding.
On Monday, 17 April 2017 20:31:27 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:

You've not explained why you want rid of the existing grass. There's seldom any good reason to. Without yet hearing why, the most likely options is to add soil where wanted & seed. Repeated mowing is all it takes to remove almost all non-grasses.
NT

My old college had wonderful lawns. When asked what the secret was, the gardeners would say "Just give it a close trim twice a week, every week mind, and after 200 years it looks like this."
On Monday, 17 April 2017 20:49:52 UTC+1, GB wrote:

That's humour of course.
NT
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:29:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only to the extent that very few people manage such a council of perfection with a domestic lawn. But I have read that if you close-mow a lawn frequently, and at least once a week, preferably more often, the coarse grasses and weeds will eventually give up and you'll be left with a very clean lawn after a few months or so.
--

Chris

On 18/04/2017 08:06, Chris Hogg wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually disappear.
On 18/04/2017 08:21, Bod wrote:

> (my landscape gardener (*friend*) I should have added :-)

Landscape gardener eh? Snob!
--
Women are like a pack of cards... you need a heart to love them, diamonds to marry them, a club to kill them and a spade to bury them.

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants, which grow from the top.

> That sounds about right.
On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 36th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 19/04/2017 10:45, Huge wrote:

But regular grass cutting stops the Dandelions fron turning each one into thousands of more Dandelion seeds. As soon as I cut the lawn I don't see any Dandelions and our grass then looks like any other lawn that doesn't have them. That's good enough for me. You can never win the Dandelion war simply because, even if you eradicate them in your garden, within a few weeks seeds from Dandelions in other gardens will blow over and they will germinate in yours. It's a waste of time and effort to spend your life trying to eradicate them. Just cut the lawn every week, IMO.