Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf

Hello All,

Is there such a thing as Organic / Pesticide-Free turf? (grass/lawn/etc)

We'd like a lawn that children can play on without any risk o pesticides and we'd also like to contribute to a more organi environment.

Searches in google turned up nothing. Is it simply that organic turf i not yet commercially viable or that 'organic' gardeners grow a lawn fro seeds?

Thank You for your help :) Mat

-- Mj62

Reply to
Mj62

Thanks - I thought that would be the answer but no harm in asking :)

I suspect that there are others like me who want a lawn before the summer comes but also doesn't want turf made with pesticide... perhaps an emerging market...

Reply to
Mj62

I highly doubt it. Because whatever residue is left on commercial sod isn't enough to worry about for enough people to make a viable market, especially when they see the price. I can see if you want to use organic products moving forward, but to obsess over buying commercial sod because it might have been treated with non-organic products doesn't make sense to me. Meanwhile, your kids are also walking on the neighbors lawn, an athletic field, or park, all of which could be actively treated at any time. I suspect they are eating plenty of kid type food that isn't organic either.

Reply to
trader4

lol :) Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder... I'm not obsessing (I thought my question was pretty polite actually), just asking what products are on the market. We live in a polluted world and if I can make a choice for less pesticides at a reasonable cost, then I will make that choice both for my health and that of the planet.

True, kids are out in the real world eating non-organic food, but by that argument I should buy them cigarettes because they may already breath second hand smoke... It's not practical to do everything organic, but I believe numerous good choices make for healthier living.

Reply to
Mj62

If you try establishing your new organic lawn from seed, using no herbicides, I think you'll see how difficult and expensive it would be to commercially grow turf that way. If you compare that totally organic approach to just using herbicides to the point that it's established, thick and healthy and then going organic, the latter approach seems a very reasonable compromise to me.

Reply to
trader4

I've spoken to others who have said similar things. Thanks for the advice :)

Reply to
Mj62