Vegetables In Compost Bin - Edible??

Hi all,
The other day when I went to my compost bin to throw away some banana
peels and egg shells, I noticed a bunch of green plants ( about 8 or 9
), growing out of the top of my compost bin, so I dug one up to see what
it was, and there were baby potatoes attached to the bottom of the
plants!!
A few months ago, I threw a whole bag of potatoes which were starting to
rot, away in the compost bin, and now I have potato plants growing in
there.
So I guess my question is, if I keep letting them grow, will they be
SAFE to eat!? If so, I don't know anything about potato plants. How do
you know when the are ready to be picked? And how do you pick them? Do
you just rip the whole plant out?
I asked a guy in the Garden Center at "Home Depot", if the I can eat the
potatoes growing out of the compost bin, and his response to me was "I
wouldn't eat ANYTHING growing from a compost bin".
Reply to
MICHELLE H.
I guess it would depend upon whatever else you've been tossing into the compost bin. If only vegetable matter, grass clippings, leaves, etc. I wouldn't think that there'd be anything to worry about.
Reply to
JB
My compost bin is mostly just made up of leafs, some shredded paper, and table scraps, like spoiled salad, scrap/spoiled fruits and vegetables, tea bags, and egg shells.
Reply to
MICHELLE H.
I was thinking of digging them out, and putting them in the ground in some nutrient rich soil, where I had another pile of leaves from last falls leaf raking, sitting on the ground composting.
The reason why I was thinking of doing this, is because #1, there are like 8 or 9 plants growing out of the top of my compost bin and they are taking up alot of space, and because #2 while 4 or 5 of the potato plants are small ( only a couple inches tall ), there are 3 or 4 potato plants that are like 2 feet tall!!!!!!
Reply to
MICHELLE H.
On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:13:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
I'd replant them in regular soil. Nothing can grow in my compost bin because the top prevents enough light from getting in, but I guess the top of yours is open.
Reply to
dgk

Site Timeline Threads