Flexible plastic edging strip

For reasons far too improbable to bore you with, I have a sheet of 18mm MDF, approximately 22" x 18", with rounded corner and a few other curves as well. Dreadful freehand sketch:

want to edge this with, ideally, a plastic strip. But whatever the edging, it has to be proud of the top surface by about 10mm and be strong enough for that exposed strip not to be easily damaged or distorted when the construction is handled: the whole thing will be a bit like a large and oddly-shaped tray, and in fact, the sort of edging used on some trays would be ideal.

Can anyone suggest a source for such a material? I have some PVC cloaking strip, as used round the edges of windows and the like, but it isn't flexible enough for the small diameter corners and the reverse curves. What would be and where can I get some?

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Well, for once I can answer my own question. Just back from a last-minute trip to Wickes for something else entirely, and there I found pretty much exactly what I needed. Flat PVC strip 2mm thick x 24mm wide (OK I had to settle for less than 10mm proud) and flexible enough to bend around most of the curves, especially with a bit of a dunk in boiling water beforehand.

My local Wickes always gives the impression that it's on its last legs, with hardly any staff and even fewer customers, but they have better stocks of stuff like PVC cladding and clocking strips than anywhere else around. I hope they're doing OK.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I was going to say would aluminium be an option, but glad you are sorted.

Reply to
newshound

That would have been an interesting chioce, actually, and one I hadn't thought of. But I'm pleased with the plastic.

Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

replying to Bert Coules, RMW wrote: I am looking for something very similar. I want to make a lip around the edges of a circular Lazy Susan turntable, 33" diameter, 1/2" thick plywood. I realize the original posting by Bert Coules is over 4 years old, but this is exactly relevant to my search. Bert, if you are still subscribed to this thread, please let me know more details! Thanks.

Reply to
RMW

I've no idea if "RMW" will see a reply posted solely on the Usenet group, but just in case...

My local Wickes still carries a varied stock of PVC trimming strips and the like, so I suggest that chain as a first port of call. Good luck.

Reply to
Bert Coules

replying to Bert Coules, RMW wrote: Yes, Bert, I did get notification of your reply! Many of the Wickes stores here in USA have closed, but my internet search of "PVC trimming strips" led me to a Home Depot building supply of Royal Mouldings #6510 PVC Composite White Lattice Moulding. It is 1/4" x 1 3/4" (6mm x 44mm) 8 feet long. I think it will be flexible enough. Your idea of warming it should help soften it. I'll use my wife's hair dryer. I plan to hold the strip to the edge of the plywood with flat head wood screws thru holes I drill and countersink in the plastic strip.

Reply to
RMW

The term to Google is "hockey stick section extrusion".

Reply to
harry

The problems occur at the join normally, I find it either comes away there, or shrinks back leaving a notch. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

RMW, that sounds as though it should word, though watch out for the join, as Brian says. Good luck.

Reply to
Bert Coules