Fixing a broken sliding catch for a cooker hood

Hi,

I need a bodge fix for a cooker hood sliding catch. I haven't been able to find replacements online. The cooker hood is 15 years old but works fine. The hood is a =93tilting=94 type. When the hood is opened a small spring switch is depressed which switches on the hood. The hood was originally prevent from coming completely out of its track by two small plastic sliders on the hood that went through slots in the metal of the hood.. These sliders stayed in place because the plastic had a small groove and lips that overlapped the metal on the front and back. However, these lips have fractured and both sliders just fall out of the slot. Without the catches, the hood can be opened (easily) too far and the hood door falls (dramatically) to the floor. Now, I want to avoid replacing the whole hood because 1) apart from these catches the hood works fine as an extractor 2) I can't afford the time to dismantle and replace the whole hood. Now I have though of using epoxy resin to fix some extra bits of plastic to the front and back of the sliders but recently I haven't had a great deal of success with epoxy resin forming a permanent bond between surfaces. Should I use a different glue between plastics surfaces? Anything else I could try to fix these catches?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

"Clive" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@o11g2000yql.googlegroups.com... Hi,

I need a bodge fix for a cooker hood sliding catch. I haven't been able to find replacements online. The cooker hood is 15 years old but works fine. The hood is a ?tilting? type. When the hood is opened a small spring switch is depressed which switches on the hood. The hood was originally prevent from coming completely out of its track by two small plastic sliders on the hood that went through slots in the metal of the hood.. These sliders stayed in place because the plastic had a small groove and lips that overlapped the metal on the front and back. However, these lips have fractured and both sliders just fall out of the slot. Without the catches, the hood can be opened (easily) too far and the hood door falls (dramatically) to the floor. Now, I want to avoid replacing the whole hood because 1) apart from these catches the hood works fine as an extractor 2) I can't afford the time to dismantle and replace the whole hood. Now I have though of using epoxy resin to fix some extra bits of plastic to the front and back of the sliders but recently I haven't had a great deal of success with epoxy resin forming a permanent bond between surfaces. Should I use a different glue between plastics surfaces? Anything else I could try to fix these catches?

Thanks

Clive

Just make a couple of new ones

Its not as though they are visible unless you put your head inside the hood at least mine weren't

IIRC I did mine with a couple of bits of aluminium I had laying around and some small pop rivets to hold together 2 strips with a thinner shim sandwiched in between to make the groove

Tony

Reply to
TMC