Fitting garage door

Anyone any experience of DIY fitting of roller garage doors, particularly Seceuroglide, as it seems to need the narrowest distanece between walls. I think Henderson do a similar one, but I think it has a motor at the end of the roller which would make it too wide.

Reply to
<me9

The message from contains these words:

I diyed a roller shutter door. Unfortunately I can't now recall the make but the motor was within the roll and the restriction caused by the guides was only about 3" each side. If I hadn't been able to rig a hoist I don't think I could have lifted the roll into position on my own.

Looking at the e-mails on my previous computer it appears as though it was a Seceuroglide Standard roller door. Installed Spring 05, no problems to date.

Reply to
Roger

I am at an early stage of considering doing the same.

The following site seems to provide fairly comprehensive instructions to enable one to assess the task:

I am hoping I may be able to do most of the significant work before removing the existing up and over door - as the rollers and guides will be positioned outside the existing mechanism.

I take the point about the weight of the roll. Would it be possible to have a rope hanging at either side of the door containing loops at regular intervals - and use the loops to gradually move the roll upwards, just moving the weight of one end at a time?

James

Reply to
James

I've fitted a Gliderol motorised door. This has the motor inside the roller. It can also be obtained without the motor.

I've found some pictures of the installation method at:

note the additional width is from 75mm each side, depending on the opening width. There is an additional 20mm on the motor end to accommodate a release mechanism, so it can be operated manually in the event of a power failure, etc. - don't forget the optional external manual release mechanism if that's the only way into your garage :-)

The fitting has a guide each side of the opening, fixed inside the garage so it doesn't narrow the opening width. The whole thing hangs from an angle bracket at the top. The widest part is the spindle in the centre of the roller mechanism. This could be cut to be no wider than the angle brackets AFTER you have fully adjusted the door to the opening...

I had to get help installing because mine was a double door and it was somewhat heavy...

Reply to
JohnW

The message from "James" contains these words:

Unfortunately I cannot get that to load so no idea what it says.

Make sure that what you fit doesn't get in the way of subsequent dismantling. If your existing door is an up and over (mine wasn't) take care. I believe the springs can be lethal in certain circumstances.

I don't see why not but there is always the possibility that the roll will slip as you lift one end but probably no more than if it is dangling from a centre point. I actually managed to drop my roll at one point (luckily without significant damage) but memory fades and I can't recall the precise details.

You may need both hands to feed the loop onto the end of the roll so if you are on your own it would be awkward low down and higher up the roll would probably have to be balanced precariously on one shoulder. If you don't have bits of a scaffold tower or something else solid to stand on the job is likely to get more difficult as the roll gets above shoulder height.

Reply to
Roger