Fireplace Restoration?

We're moving into a house with this fireplace. It looks like it has been over-painted many times and so it's lost any design or definition it has. The shelf on top can easily come off. I'm just wondering what you think we could do with it to restore it? What do you think could be underneath it? What can we do?

Thanks in advance!

Shauna

The picture appears to be of "Black cat in a coal cellar". Try again.

Reply to
Martin Brown

With a teensy green HoH logo in the bottom/right corner.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Since the picture is simply all over black, try installing a house, with a wall, and then a new fireplace.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lighting would be the first move I think, then we'd be able to see it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

May be a problem if the chimney is blocked?

Reply to
Graeme

It was probably over painted many times because it's not a "period feature" worth keeping.

Reply to
alan_m

We don't have enough information. What type of fireplace? Age? Material? I have stripped back several Victorian cast iron fireplaces, and they are a joy to behold (and use) afterwards.

Reply to
Graeme

Back in the 1970s, the decade that taste forgot, a 50 year old fireplace might not have been worth keeping.

It's nearly 50 years later now, and that 100 year old fireplace may be worth restoring.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris