Using all the ballance on prepaid cards.

How would you use all the balance on a prepaid Mastercard which you can't top up? Do supermarkets in general allow multiple card payments? e.g. Charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest to a normal debit or credit card.
--
Michael Chare

I don't see why not. It may be easier to mix the prepaid card with cash, e.g., charge £40 to this prepaid card and the rest in cash.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 49th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
Huge wrote:

I've certainly done it in restaurants to split the bill between couples, half on each of two cards. I can't see why supermarkets would not play ball.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 49th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
replying to Michael Chare, Iggy wrote: Yes. But, you may need to help the Cashier. Store types, like Supermarkets, that have specific duty jobs commonly don't have the patience nor the wit to deal with your situation. They'll need to split the order and process a separate order for each payment method's amount. It's no problem for stores that have lower or less technology with multiple duty staff, they can spread your payments over everything in a single transaction and receipt.

Our self checkouts handle it fine with a very explicit multiple payment button right there on the main payment screen.
Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
replying to Rod Speed, Iggy wrote: When they start paying me for doing their job, then I'll use the self-checkout. I've dropped my stuff on the floor and left when cashiers were standing there telling me that I have to do their job. Self-checkout places aren't even discounting prices, they're either the same or more expensive than those without. But, no-one has a spine anymore and only do as their Masters tell them.

Beauty of a self checkout is it doesn't spend ages chatting to the customer in front of you. And most who use them don't spend ages looking for their purse after doing the checkout. In other words, most who use them want as speedy a process as possible.
--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

replying to Dave Plowman (News), Iggy wrote: I haven't had those problems and more so I see the self-checkout not scanning or breaking down altogether. More than a few times, I've waited in line, checked-out and walked past self-checkers that started when I got in line and kept trying to scan, re-scan or start over and especially satisfy the bag weight sensor.

I did try them without incident only once, the other handful of times required the Supervising Staff to override the system for every item, even store gift cards wouldn't work. So, I gave up and now protest.

What problems ?

You clowns can't manage to do a viable self checkout ? Wota surprise.

Only happened to me the once, with a single packet of beer brewing yeast and our self checkouts don’t weigh anything anymore.

You clowns can't manage to do a viable self checkout ? Wota surprise.

Work fine for me.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you are that terminal a fuckwit.

I regard it as a social service to bring employment to a lot of low skilled people.
Andy

They do. The prices would be higher if they didn’t have any self checkouts because they would have to pay more staff or you would have to wait longer in the queues at the manned checkouts.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you are that terminal a fuckwit.

They'd have to charge more or have longer queues without self checkouts.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Plenty of fools like you continue to use the manned checkouts.
On 08/12/2017 00:50, Rod Speed wrote:

Which supermarket(s)
--
Michael Chare

wrote

All of them with self checkouts.
On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:

That or payment card + some cash. What they are unwilling to do is give back change so you can't buy one kitkat and walk away with £39.45 cash.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 07/12/2017 11:53, Michael Chare wrote:

I have certainly split bills over multiple payment types before. However last time I have a pre-paid card (was from a "cash back" deal when I bought something), I issued an invoice to myself for the full "worth" of the card (less transaction fees) from one of the online card settlement services, and then paid it with the card. That turned it into cash in the bank.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:53:03 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

My son regularly visits Tesco for late night food. He uses the self checkout.
Empties all his spare change into the machine, then uses his card for the rest. Probably works the other way round.

I tried to do that with the old pound coins I had lying around, before they became no longer in use. The machines in my local Tesco didn't like it. Kept on rejecting most of them. An assistant simply changed them into a note. Of course some might have been forgeries - it was said there were lots around. The new pound coins seem a lot better in machines.

--
*Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 15:37:34 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
====snip===

I remember a figure being quoted of 10% of all the one pound coins in circulation being forgeries in a TV programme a few years back. The problem was so severe that not even the banks questioned their validity unless they were really obvious forgeries.
The differences between genuine and forged, were so subtle as to be difficult to spot even with the aid of an identity chart of the ludicrously large variety of genuine one pound coins that were in circulation (more than a dozen different designs FFS! AFAICR).
The problem seems to have been self inflicted by the Royal Mint's propensity to issue new varieties of design. Hopefully, they'll be able to resist this needless urge to make life easy for the forgers from now on.
JOOI, I closely examined my pocket change of four one pound coins, three of which were, as expected dated 2017 with one, surprisingly, minted in 2016. All four were of identical design as far as I could tell using a jeweller’s loupe. Hopefully, the Royal Mint will resist the urge to give the forgers an easy life by sticking rigidly to this one design from now on.
--
Johnny B Good

Ours certainly do.