CH - we don't have room thermostat

Combi-boiler at the rear utility extension of house and there is no room thermostat so have to go and turn the temperature dial on the Baxi 105HE boiler. Not easy to run a wire there but the main question is how do I work out where to put the wires anyway?

Just looking at whether something like

is practical.

House has spare rooms and areas that can be run at different temps at different times of the day/year/visitors

Reply to
AnthonyL

I put a wireless room stat in my mum and dad's house a few years ago, but it was only the £25 variety :-) They have two motorised valves - one for CH and one for HW. The timer output for CH ON was wired straight to the CH motorised valve, and I just introduced the thermostat receiver into that connection. So far, it is working well. The hardest part is tracing which wire goes where once they are out of view :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I think:

Thermostat C and NO (call for heat) (Genius 2 Common and 4 Heating On) term inals connect to 1 and 2 on the boiler. If there are any wires already conn ected to 1 and 2, or a link between them, remove them; this will disable an y existing clock and thermostat.

The A and B terminals connect to 1 and 2 on the boiler. If there are any wi res already connected to 1 and 2, or a link between them, remove them; this will disable any existing clock and thermostat.

You can take the L and N for the Genius base supply from the appropriate te rminals on the boiler.

ree.pdf

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ignore the references to A and B terminals in the prior post, that was copied from instructions for a different thermostat.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A mate of mine had a system with no room stat instead it relied on TRVs on each radiator to control temperature maybe you have a similar system. You s hould not have to fiddle with the boiler stat, I cannot fully remember my m ates system as it was quite a while back but I suspect the boiler stat was used to control the circulating pump.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Well if we're away for a couple of days I turn the boiler temperature control right down rather than run around 11 radiator TRvs.

And whilst in theory the boiler should shut off more regularly in milder weather I'll turn it back to the 1 'o' clock position whereas now it's at nearly 3 'o' clock and it'll be wound on another notch when the next cold snap turns up. Ambient temperature does seem to impact on what radiator/boiler thermostat temperature is needed.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Unless they are "smart" TRVs, you'll still want something to turn off the boiler when all the TRVs are closed. A bypass valve and relying on the boiler stat works, but it's not great.

Reply to
Alan Braggins