Adding wireless Boiler stat

"must" implies some legal compulsion AFAIK there is none.

TRVs are a common way of creating room sized zones, but they are the only, or most efficient way.

Reply to
Graham.

Been getting on with work on my parents hose which they persuaded me to buy.

Heating system is standard single zone rads to a Baxi 105HE Condensing Combi boiler.

Checking out its all working - found the wall mounted Honeywell thermostat had no effect on boiler, the system in fact being controlled by the timer control on boiler and the heating temp dial on boiler.

The system is under service contract with British Gas (who did annual service & safety check in Jan) so called them. They explained that separate thermostats are mandatory since 1982 so if faulty it would have to be replaced.

On inspection they found it was not wired in the boiler (yellow wire link across where stat would be wired) ... and no cable there, assume it must have been 'cut out' when previous non-combi boiler was replaced 5 years ago. Honeywell stat certainly used to work with old boiler (simple bi-metal type)

I did ask how it passed the annual boiler & controls service if it doesn't work - no answer on that.

It would not be easy or neat to run in new cables .... so I have 2 options.

  1. Fit a basic Remote wireless thermostat-anybody know of a simple one?, don't need programming options as there is a programmer timer on the boiler. British gas are also preparing a quote, for this - though may do it myself.
Reply to
rick

I fitted a Salus (check spelling) one for my eldest. It seems to do the job. From memory, it was about £35.

The Hive one will work in 'dumb' mode, ie without the internet- just buy one without the hub. However, it is more expensive. Against that, if you have standard controller backplate, it is easy to fit.

The Salus one I fitted was a dedicated one for the system (a straight plug in more or less) but they do generic ones, I can't comment on fitting these.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Google for a salus st620rf.

Wire in the receiver onto the boiler and stick some batteries in the remote control unit.

You will need to remove the timer in the boiler as the st620rf allows you to have different temperatures during the day as it's a timer and flexible thermostat in one unit

And all your rads must have thermostatic valves except for one to act as a heat overrun bypass, usually the one in the same room as the remote control.

Reply to
items4sale

just watch when I fitted on it was on the same frequency as a neighbour and it went on and off at weird times....had to change it...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes I fitted a single one. Its basically just a remote stat. Has temperature set and thats it.

MOSTLY works tho sometimes flat batteries or power cuts cause it to lose its marbles and it needs re-pairing

Its obsolete now but here's one on ebay

modern equivalent seems to be this

Change batteries once a year

Its very simple. essentially the mains power receiver ends up as a tow wire relay contact. Stick that in series with your CH call for heat from your timer.

mount everything in suitable places, follow the manual to set it up and forget about it.

IJW.

It Just Works

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think i'd be looking for a refund of that years service contract fee.

If going to fit a thermostat I'd fit a programmable one they don't duplicate the pure on/off time based programmer on the boiler. They enable different temperatures based on time of day and day of week. Being able to set a day time temp lower (when people are home and active) than the evening (couch potato time) a bit over having just a single temp all day/evening.

Beware of "5+2 day" ones that may only have a temperature pattern for

5 days (M-F) and two days (S & S). 7 day ones enable a different temperature pattern each day of the week.

As well as the refund get 'em to bring it up to spec for no charge. Do you really need the service contract? Threaten to not renew without refund and correctional work done for no charge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cobolt Talking one perhaps? Interesting variation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The OP did not mention if the heating system had TRVs throughout. I have come across systems where all there was a programmer with no room stat and all the temperature control was through the individual TRVs in fact a friend of mine had that exact system. I have virtually the same having equipped all my radiators with Hive smart thermostats except for the bathroom which is the official system bypass and the kickspace heater in the kitchen which has its own thermostat. If the OP has a system as mentioned above the unwired room stat may just be a redundant item from a previous setup.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

With 'smart' TRVs which ensure that the boiler only fires up if there's a call for heat that would be OK but I don't think traditional 'dumb' TRVs satisfy Building Regs requirement because the boiler will keep cycling to maintain the heating water temperature when not required.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

come across systems where all there was a programmer with no room stat and all the temperature control was through the individual TRVs in fact a friend of mine had that exact system. I have virtually the same having equipped all my radiators with Hive smart thermostats except for the bathroom which is the official system bypass and the kickspace heater in the kitchen which has its own thermostat. If the OP has a system as mentioned above the unwired room stat may just be a redundant item from a previous setup.

For eight months of the year I can be pretty confident that it will be never more than ten minutes that the CH will not be required.[1] So this is a non-issue. Apart from the fact that if one has a combi boiler the regulations do not forbid you to have the same boiler cycling as needed 24/7 to maintain the availability of hot water. I have no use for a room thermostat to supplement the TRVs. When I had one I simply turned it to 35 degrees until I go round to disconnecting it.

[1] There are insurmountable obstacles (aesthetic mainly) to insulating the house properly.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Mike that may well be the case now but certainly in the 80/90s when I first came across this system it was an option. I know my friend did have a cylinder stat and twin valves and do not recall him complaining of the boiler short cycling. I seem to remember he had one radiator with standard valves to act as a bypass.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

10 mins? That is ( almost) unbelievable. On of the interesting things the Hive application allows you to see is the temperature profile against time- obviously of where the sensor is but they can be unclipped (assuming you?ve clipped it to a wall) and moved from room to room.

One of the interesting things which came to light was just how slowly our house cools down once the heating is turned off. True it is ( relatively) modern, has cavity insulation, good loft insulation, double glazing etc, but I was still surprised.

A previous house was initially cold, or more exactly felt cold. Some time fixing draft excluder made a huge difference. It wasn?t double glazed.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I believe that it was around 2010 that Part L banned such installs.

Reply to
ARW

I check the TRVs

Reply to
rick

TRVs on all rads That is why I think they did not wire in the wall stat. According to British Gas, even if TRVs fitted there should still be separate thermostat to prevent cycling of boiler when no zones calling for heat.

Reply to
rick

They are simple dumb TRVs

Reply to
rick

On 07/03/2020 16:11, rick wrote: not be easy or neat to run in new cables .... so I have 2 options.

Update I purchased:

Receiver is direct replacement for mechanical timer, so should be easy install.

Reply to
rick

Please update. I appear to have the same setup as you and would like something smarter without overdoing it.

In particular how easy or otherwise to remove the timer mechanism.

Our boiler is in a back utility room extensions so the wireless signal as a way to go as well.

Thanks

Reply to
AnthonyL

What cycling of the boiler?