Curtains

What kind of curtain rail and opener?

The window hole is 2.5 meters wide: if i had curtains which fully covered it I would be warmer.

They are behind my desk so opening by a string or similar would be good.

How to seal them at the top and sides?

Wall surrounds are OSB.

Or blinds?

Insulation is the main aim.

Could they be used as a projector screen for movies?

But £149 is too much for a screen which might be used once or twice

Ideas and experiences please?

[George]
Reply to
George Miles

dont bother. You wont succeed totally.

Then they need lining AND interlining. Use pencil pleats and a heavy brocade or damask style fabric. I've done some here in chenille but although it looks fab the actual stiffness and weight is maybe TOO much

I would say that you should avoid a wooden pole as these step the curtain away from the wall - a metal rod with fancy ends is good or you could use trad rail - get metal as heavy curtains rip the shit out of plastic. Hang the curtains to project above and hide the rod, If you use a rail a pelmet actually helps reduce air movement and hides the rails

Floor length or longer also improves insulation but I think they look ostentatiously arty my self

No. they wont be flat. Unless you go for a roller blind but that wont have any insulative properties

Expect to spend a whole lot of cash more than that to have them professionally made, if you don't fancy D-I-Y

This is a pair I made before Xmas on Jim Lawrence poles. Pencil pleat, jacquard tapestry fabric, bump interlining and cotton lining. Came to about £1000 for 6 pairs in terms of materials. John Lewis wanted £3200 to make em... # Sewing machine ebay £50.

Took about a day for each pair.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A photo would help. Are the windows single glazed ?.

My 3rd bedroom/office has a single-glazed window. In winter I have a section of celotex that is a snug fit in the window reveal, but is cut vertically in half, so I can simply slide one half across to allow light in during the day.

Are there any Swish autoglide tracks on ebay ?. Some of these had a remote control for opening /closing.

Reply to
Andrew

pelmet at top, similar at sides so the curtains go into them when closed. Secondary glazing is significantly more effective.

line them with curtain insulation, but it is either on the bulky side and overpriced or not overly bulky but not inuslating a lot.

only if desperate. Use the wall.

never heard of white paint?

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have hinged, insulated shutters on all my windows. The hinges are of the "lift off" sort so they can be removed in Summer.

Reply to
harry

Seal, not really with curtains. A over lap and, if possible ( and assuming no radiator under window) good drop, even to the floor if the window is a deep one, should help.

Certainly, as others have said, lining etc is the way to go.

Senior Management is a dab hand with a sewing machine etc and made all of ours over the years - if you can find someone like her who takes commissions they will probably be better than a shop. ( No, Senior Management doesn?t do commissions.) She makes it look easy but I don?t think I?d attempt it.

We?ve blinds as well in some rooms- more for sun limiting. They are hopeless insulation wise.

You could probably use a roller blind as a screen, if you could get one smooth enough etc. I have a projector and have tried using improvised screens ( not for movies) just for images ( diagrams etc) the background can be distracting.

I have a portable screen and have tried watching films via the projector. The faff of setting it up isn?t worth it, buy a reasonable sized TV.

Reply to
Brian Reay