slate fireplace restoration

We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can anyone recomend a lacquer?

Reply to
Gillianpirie

The wood effect paint you have just removed may well have been the original finish. The two most common forms of finish to victorian slate fire surrounds was wood grain or marble effect. If you want to leave the slate surround bare use fine steel wool to prepare the surface and finish with linseed oil. Apply oil by paintbrush and buff with a lint free cloth.

If you want to resurrect a traditional finish there are many proffesionals out there that can do wood grain and marble paint effects.

Reply to
Andy Farrall

Thanks, There was a marble effect underneath the wood grain. I will try the linseed oil

Reply to
Gillianpirie

Try WD40.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Harrington

Try contacting Lithofin..they do a range of finishes for stone. They have a web site - do a search.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher