How do I use this rental fireplace

How do I use this rental fireplace open original image

I just moved into a house rental with a absentee landlord. We have a working GAS fireplace, but the previous tenant seems to have just piled wood on top of the gas flame output, which is just a flame-bar. Is this safe? What can I do to make this fireplace cozier, warmer, prettier? Is there a DIY solution or should I call a pro?

Thanks in advance. Picture attached. [IMG]

harold