filling gap unders skirting

hi all,

recently laid engineered wood flooring down through the flat and took off skirting beforehand for the clean edge. am now going to put the skirting back on.

i've laid the skirting up against the walls and it's clear to me that the skirting is going to have a 1-2mm gap between the skirting and the floor. i don't know why. perhaps a little warping or floor uneveness, but i have no idea how to fill this gap elegantly.

i do not want to use quadrant, i've spent forever taking the skirting off, it would be in vain to use quadrant. nor do i want or have the tools to do a good job of scribing a line across the bottom of the skirting with a pencil against the floor. i wouldn't be able to cut it straight and don't have the nerves. and so the only remaining idea i have is to use decorator caulk.

has anyone used caulk in this capacity before? any tips? any other ideas for this problem?

a photo of the issue is at

allistair

I had a similar issue. I painted the skirting cream and just used a cream silicon cartridge to gap fill. I used masking tape on the floor for a clean edge. Worked for me.

mark

Reply to
mark

and replaced the skirting all round. Due to the old floor being slightly warped / uneven, my skirting must sit about 3mm off the ground in places and it looks absolutely fine. 1-2 mm is negligible.

Putting caulk in-between would only highlight the gap unless it was the exact same colour.

If going the caulk or silicone route then this should help

Steven Campbell

Agree. A line of white silicone/ masking tape would be neat but, being soft, it tends to pick up grime. Caulk is harder but may discolour over time. I'd leave it. Looks absolutely fine to me

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you have not yet fixed the skirting and the gap really is a problem you could scribe it to fit. Place the skirting a fixed height above where you want to fit it and draw a pencil line the same height above the floor. small offcuts of wood are good for this. then trim to the line and it will fit exactly.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Bugger... What a simple solution.

When I get a round one I will scribe, remove, plane and re-fit skirting to eradicate some cavernous voids that currently bless our floor-skirting divide.

:¬)

Thanks Andy!

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The method I used is to tuck scraps of the underlay or something that is about 1 - 2mm thick beneath the flooring to raise it to fill the gap from below. Lift the dge of the flooring where the gap is using your fingers or small jemmy or bycicle tyre lever. Then tuck the stuff under.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

We had a similar problem recently owing to the underlying screed being uneven. I bought acrylic sealant to match the floor colour (from Howdens), masked off, and you can't see the gap. Important as well to SWMBO, to keep the spiders out. I've told her they actually come in through the doors she leaves open all through the summer, but to no avail.

Reply to
teddysnips