Removing wall tile adhesive

I've knocked the wall tiles off easily enough - a strip of them above where the old kitchen units were. The adhesive left on the walls is your usual white stuff. Is there anything I an apply to it that will cause it to lose its adhesion, or dissolve it, so I don't have to scrape it all off? I don't mind the work in scraping it off, but I'll probably leave marks in the plaster, and I want to paint the wall afterwards.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

You can wet it and it will soften it, but it may take more than one wetting to soak right through.

add a bit of fairly liquid to the water - it keeps it in place longer....this trick can also be used for wallpaper stripping

Reply to
Phil L

If it's the white waterproof stuff - designed for showers etc - I don't think water will do any good. I wanted to re-use some tiles fixed with that stuff and after removing them left them in a bucket of water for several days and it didn't touch it. Had to chip it off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wallpaper steam stripper will do it.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Use one of these, but the 6" one (B&Q, Wickes sell them) & a pack of spare bledes. With a little care it won't mark the wall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One of what? Was there a link?

Thanks Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I'll get me coat.............

The Medway Handyman

honestly! A wallpaper steam stripper is the ONLY way to go!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

Have you ever tried one of these scraper?

Reply to
geoff

They are the mutts nuts IMO, nothing better for removing old tile adhesive, silicone, whatever.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup

Reply to
geoff

And, on plaster, self sharpening too.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Aha. Thanks ;-)

Anyroad, I've wettened it with hot soapy water, and it's coming off all right, with a bog standard scraper. Nothing heavy-duty about this adhesive. I'll need to sand the plaster aftewards, before I paint the wall.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster