Removing wall tile adhesive

I've knocked the wall tiles off easily enough - a strip of them above where the old kitchen units were. The adhesive left on the walls is your usual white stuff. Is there anything I an apply to it that will cause it to lose its adhesion, or dissolve it, so I don't have to scrape it all off? I don't mind the work in scraping it off, but I'll probably leave marks in the plaster, and I want to paint the wall afterwards.
Regards Richard
geraldthehamster wrote:

You can wet it and it will soften it, but it may take more than one wetting to soak right through.
add a bit of fairly liquid to the water - it keeps it in place longer....this trick can also be used for wallpaper stripping

If it's the white waterproof stuff - designed for showers etc - I don't think water will do any good. I wanted to re-use some tiles fixed with that stuff and after removing them left them in a bucket of water for several days and it didn't touch it. Had to chip it off.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Wallpaper steam stripper will do it.
HTH
John
geraldthehamster wrote:

Use one of these, but the 6" one (B&Q, Wickes sell them) & a pack of spare bledes. With a little care it won't mark the wall.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

One of what? Was there a link?
Thanks Richard
geraldthehamster wrote:

I'll get me coat.............
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/Decorating-Sundries/Decorators-Knives/Heavy-Duty-Scraper?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-SCRAPER-_-16530
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/Decorating-Sundries/Decorators-Knives/Heavy-Duty-Scraper?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-SCRAPER-_-16530
No honestly! A wallpaper steam stripper is the ONLY way to go!!
HTH
John

Have you ever tried one of these scraper?
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

They are the mutts nuts IMO, nothing better for removing old tile adhesive, silicone, whatever.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Yup
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

And, on plaster, self sharpening too.

Aha. Thanks ;-)
Anyroad, I've wettened it with hot soapy water, and it's coming off all right, with a bog standard scraper. Nothing heavy-duty about this adhesive. I'll need to sand the plaster aftewards, before I paint the wall.
Regards Richard